Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cfl or t-8 lights

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    T5HO lights are painfully bright though, should you look directly at them
    Come to me flies and crawling bugs. This plant wants to give you great big hugs
    Aren't I pretty, don't I smell good? I'd come to you if I could
    But I can't so you must come to me, I'm sure we will get along splendidly

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in this for the long term for the most part so after a year or two your better off paying the upfront costs of LEDs, unless you are wanting the heat from the T5s for lowlands, but I still think the math would favor the water/heater route for raising temps.

If I'm looking to light a large area I would go with LEDs, a smaller area I "might" go with compacts just because I can go to my local chain hardware store and get a 5 pack of daylights for $10.

I still have some T5s I'm using but once I get the funds or the bulbs burn out they will be replaced with LEDs.

If/when I'm broke I'd still go the 5 pack of compacts route vs T5s, if I don't have the funds for LEDs I probably don't have the funds to set up a 12" X 48" grow area

T5s are great lights don't misunderstand.

The sticky ones are my favorite. Tacks's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The cost per lumen difference between T8s and T5 HOs is pretty small, based on numbers I've seen. The bulbs are also harder to find and more expensive. I was considering upgrading to T5s but at this point it doesn't seem worth it to me. T8s may eventually get phased out, but I feel like that won't become an issue for several years yet. I don't really understand the argument that T8s are hilariously obsolete. It's nothing like T12s.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check around a little before going T8s, some areas of the US government are trying to get ride of them.

From a random article on the web, from what I know it appears correct enough to get the basics across.

"DOE is regulating T12 lamps and some T8 lamps, incandescent lamps, and other inefficient technologies as a method of moving energy consumers to be more efficient. The new standards for linear fluorescent lamps is based on efficacy, or ensuring that newer lighting technology offers greater lumens (light output) per watt and a higher CRI (Color Rendering Index.) In effect since July 2012, the legislation eliminates nearly all 4-foot T12 lamps, some 4-foot T8 lamps, most 8-foot T12 lamps, and almost all standard halogen PAR38, PAR30 and PAR20 lamps from the market."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have a lot of space in my apartment so I use an OSRAM CFL bulb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a 42 watt 2900 lumen 6700 k CFL for my highland Nepenthes and Heliamphora. Not as bright as it could be and doesn't color them up much, but it keeps them alive. Going to upgrade eventually, maybe use that chain lighting system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use t8, t12, t5, MH, HPS and CFL lol. As long as my plants are happy I'm not picky about the light source. I just kind of use whatever.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ahhhh it's ford vs. chevy time

Av fixes halo and just walks away...
    Last edited by Av8tor1; 06-13-2014 at 06:15 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast