What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cfl or t-8 lights

Which one would be better for d. Capensis and d. Burmanii and are these good plants for beginners?

I think either would be fine, and those are great beginners plants especially D. capensis.

Capensis is the beginner drosera, they are so easy that lots of people end up with them becoming a weed. Burmanii a tad harder, as an annual in nature you have to be sure they are fed a lot and cut off the flower stalk or collect the seeds to maintain having them. If you are growing burmanii from seed, you can actually float the seeds in water under a grow light and wait for them to germinate, then pour them over the growing media.

I use a t-5 high output light for my plants, but I have germinated seeds under just a typical desk lamp, and those seedlings actually had better coloration, oddly enough.

If you have either, use it. If you're researching a setup before buying, consider that buying a T8 set up these days is akin to buying a black & white tv.

If you have either, use it. If you're researching a setup before buying, consider that buying a T8 set up these days is akin to buying a black & white tv.

Haha! SR is right. Def get the CFLs if its a choice between the 2. Quick question though...why not grow them in the sun?

I would not buy a T8 fixture today, if you found a really cheap one used them maybe. Then again I would not buy a T5 fixture today either.

In my opinion you have 2 options either screw in compacts or LED strips. Do not buy any LEDs without doing some research first, they are not all created equal.

The easy option is daylight screw in compacts.

Another option is here http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php/136961-ridiculously-cheap-and-easy-chained-lighting

There is a ton of info already posted bout lighting just do some searching, pick the 2013-2014 threads to get better up to date info.

Hey RSS why wouldnt you buy a T5? Just curious.

same here. T5HO is my light of choice. screw in CFLs aren't as efficient and cover such a small area.
Hey RSS why wouldnt you buy a T5? Just curious.

T5HO lights are painfully bright though, should you look directly at them

I'm in this for the long term for the most part so after a year or two your better off paying the upfront costs of LEDs, unless you are wanting the heat from the T5s for lowlands, but I still think the math would favor the water/heater route for raising temps.

If I'm looking to light a large area I would go with LEDs, a smaller area I "might" go with compacts just because I can go to my local chain hardware store and get a 5 pack of daylights for $10.

I still have some T5s I'm using but once I get the funds or the bulbs burn out they will be replaced with LEDs.

If/when I'm broke I'd still go the 5 pack of compacts route vs T5s, if I don't have the funds for LEDs I probably don't have the funds to set up a 12" X 48" grow area :)

T5s are great lights don't misunderstand.

The cost per lumen difference between T8s and T5 HOs is pretty small, based on numbers I've seen. The bulbs are also harder to find and more expensive. I was considering upgrading to T5s but at this point it doesn't seem worth it to me. T8s may eventually get phased out, but I feel like that won't become an issue for several years yet. I don't really understand the argument that T8s are hilariously obsolete. It's nothing like T12s.

Check around a little before going T8s, some areas of the US government are trying to get ride of them.

From a random article on the web, from what I know it appears correct enough to get the basics across.

"DOE is regulating T12 lamps and some T8 lamps, incandescent lamps, and other inefficient technologies as a method of moving energy consumers to be more efficient. The new standards for linear fluorescent lamps is based on efficacy, or ensuring that newer lighting technology offers greater lumens (light output) per watt and a higher CRI (Color Rendering Index.) In effect since July 2012, the legislation eliminates nearly all 4-foot T12 lamps, some 4-foot T8 lamps, most 8-foot T12 lamps, and almost all standard halogen PAR38, PAR30 and PAR20 lamps from the market."

I don't have a lot of space in my apartment so I use an OSRAM CFL bulb
IMG_20140409_184330.jpg

I use a 42 watt 2900 lumen 6700 k CFL for my highland Nepenthes and Heliamphora. Not as bright as it could be and doesn't color them up much, but it keeps them alive. Going to upgrade eventually, maybe use that chain lighting system.

I use t8, t12, t5, MH, HPS and CFL lol. As long as my plants are happy I'm not picky about the light source. I just kind of use whatever.

ahhhh it's ford vs. chevy time :-O

Av fixes halo and just walks away...

Last edited:
Just to confuse people more, for the fun of it, keep in mind most Lumen measurement are just measurements of light levels that the human eye is sensitive too. So if you have a good quality Red/Blue LED setup the lumen measurement will be pretty low but the plants may be getting a ton of light provided proper wavelengths are used.

Basically lumen measurements are great for picking a kitchen light but can be very misleading when it comes to your plants needs. After all the higher the bulb makers can get that number the better sales they get, they are not trying to grow a plant just light a room.

If you want to you could spend months reading up on nothing but lighting, last year I spent a few weeks and learned so much before expanding my grow area with the new LEDs.

So many options today its just great! When I was a kid we had warm or grow lights T12, or those giant sodium vapor things you could cook a turkey under.

One thing you might want to consider is that the lumen output of a CFL diminishes noticeably over its lifetime, so while they are long-lasting they don't provide the same amount of life over their lifespan.

One thing you might want to consider is that the lumen output of a CFL diminishes noticeably over its lifetime, so while they are long-lasting they don't provide the same amount of life over their lifespan.

From my understanding this is true of all the "new" lighting types not just CFLs. Anytime I replace a T5 bulb my plants go into a bit of a "light" shock for a week or two until they get used to it. Same thing with CFLs, I would assume from my reading LEDs will be the same but I'm no were near replacing those.

Back