Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cfl or t-8 lights

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cfl or t-8 lights

Which one would be better for d. Capensis and d. Burmanii and are these good plants for beginners?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think either would be fine, and those are great beginners plants especially D. capensis.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Capensis is the beginner drosera, they are so easy that lots of people end up with them becoming a weed. Burmanii a tad harder, as an annual in nature you have to be sure they are fed a lot and cut off the flower stalk or collect the seeds to maintain having them. If you are growing burmanii from seed, you can actually float the seeds in water under a grow light and wait for them to germinate, then pour them over the growing media.

I use a t-5 high output light for my plants, but I have germinated seeds under just a typical desk lamp, and those seedlings actually had better coloration, oddly enough.
    Come to me flies and crawling bugs. This plant wants to give you great big hugs
    Aren't I pretty, don't I smell good? I'd come to you if I could
    But I can't so you must come to me, I'm sure we will get along splendidly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have either, use it. If you're researching a setup before buying, consider that buying a T8 set up these days is akin to buying a black & white tv.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SubRosa View Post
    If you have either, use it. If you're researching a setup before buying, consider that buying a T8 set up these days is akin to buying a black & white tv.
    Haha! SR is right. Def get the CFLs if its a choice between the 2. Quick question though...why not grow them in the sun?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would not buy a T8 fixture today, if you found a really cheap one used them maybe. Then again I would not buy a T5 fixture today either.

In my opinion you have 2 options either screw in compacts or LED strips. Do not buy any LEDs without doing some research first, they are not all created equal.

The easy option is daylight screw in compacts.

Another option is here http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...ained-lighting

There is a ton of info already posted bout lighting just do some searching, pick the 2013-2014 threads to get better up to date info.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey RSS why wouldnt you buy a T5? Just curious.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    same here. T5HO is my light of choice. screw in CFLs aren't as efficient and cover such a small area.
    Quote Originally Posted by dionae View Post
    Hey RSS why wouldnt you buy a T5? Just curious.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast