User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I try and separate this tangled mess?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should I try and separate this tangled mess?

This is my D. Spatulata, looking much better after a week or so in the terrarium, and now I can more clearly see where new growth is coming from. The thing came in a little 2" seedling pot which definitely seems a bit small, but before I consider re-potting, I'd like to know how to go about this without killing either plant.

I'm not familiar enough with sundews to be able to tell if this is multiple plants, or just one.

Top-down:
    D. spatulata 6-14-14 by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

And the side(ish) view:
    D. spatulata 6-14-14 (2) by the_bugman_cometh, on Flickr

In the bottom pic you can see (I hope) the growth that I'm talking about. It seems to be coming out sideways, lol.

I'm not looking for propagation tips, just maybe some advice on how to separate them, remove most or all of the lfs, and be gentle about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have at least 4 plants there, and to separate them, which isn't necessary by the way, you should remove the moss and just try to gently pull them apart. If they are ready, they will freely pull away.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The individual plants grow bigger if you do separate them. Sphagnum moss like that can be kinda difficult with transplanting though, as roots tangle in it in more difficult ways than say, sphagnum peat moss would.
    Come to me flies and crawling bugs. This plant wants to give you great big hugs
    Aren't I pretty, don't I smell good? I'd come to you if I could
    But I can't so you must come to me, I'm sure we will get along splendidly

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always found clumps of rosette type Drosera far more attractive than single plants, so I would advocate leaving the plants as they are.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    I've always found clumps of rosette type Drosera far more attractive than single plants, so I would advocate leaving the plants as they are.
    I agree! Rather than dividing I'd just move the lot of them to a larger pot and let them go wild.

One of my spatulata pots, for reference.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And a nice colony of D. aliceae
    [IMG]https://**************************************/2014/06/20140614-133548-48948949.jpg[/IMG]

Why separate them?!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ Kevin P

Holy cow! Is that really spatulata? I'm assuming a "red" form? I've got to have one of those now, if only to be able to look at something like that every day. That's beautiful!

@ Everyone else

Noted, I'll not try and separate them, as such, but I would dearly like to get them in some proper media, not just an ugly pile of lfs. Sometime next week I'll work on re-potting them. I've got some 4" pots in that should do nicely for awhile.

I'm assuming that spatulata needs no encouragement to propagate, a la D. capensis?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "encouragement"!!! HA HA HA HA HA HA! Oh dear. Noooo encouragement needed, no. Although it is not quite as invasive as capensis.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast