Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Having issues looking for soil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamkruiser View Post
    I found some in a 10 qt bag. Brand name Hoffman. Says only 100% Canadian sphagnum peat moss. Now for the other agent. I don't like the look of perlite, are there any recommendations on an alternative? Unfortunately I'm on a time crunch, not like I'm suggesting anything to you all, you've been very helpful. I'm just an idiot and don't plan these things very well. I would by bulk peat but 85 compressed cubic feet is impractical, not to mention storage in my studio...
    The Hoffman brand might be a locational thing. I haven't seen it in the Carolina's region.

As for an alternative to perlite (and since you're on a time crunch), maybe try Aquatic Plant Substrate? There are different brands, but the stuff you can find at most pet stores will work for drainage, so long as it's rinsed very, very well prior to mixing into your media.

These are just my opinions, and what I've done when I needed something I wasn't prepared for.

Desert sand? And I've heard "in a pinch" twice. What should I do differently otherwise?
    I just give playground sand a good rinsing (3-4 times) and add in less than the recommended 50:50 solution, which seems to work better on larger size granules. My mixes are more like 70:30 Peat / Sand. It's a little more saturated, but everything I've planted in it seems happy.

The only reason I add less is to try and avoid compaction and clumps of sand, which is easy to do with fine-grained playground sand.
    Last edited by Zath; 06-26-2014 at 01:38 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the filter sand for swimming pools. It's available at any pool supply store.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 on the beach sand. It is probably full of salts and minerals and that will slowly kill your plant (even a D. capensis). I would recommend play sand or, even better, swimming pool filter sand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu138 View Post
    I use the filter sand for swimming pools. It's available at any pool supply store.
    I'll have to check that out next time I'm visiting NC. I've been having a hard time finding silica blasting sand, and the shipping charges online are out of the question.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just grow my capensis in pure peat moss.
    Come to me flies and crawling bugs. This plant wants to give you great big hugs
    Aren't I pretty, don't I smell good? I'd come to you if I could
    But I can't so you must come to me, I'm sure we will get along splendidly

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would caution you against repotting a plant just before you leave town for a time, leaving it in the care of someone else. Why? Because if it reacts badly to repotting, your interim caregivers probably won't know what to do if the plant starts looking peaky. Why not wait till you return and then you can invest time to locate the right materials. Several of the mail order CP nurseries sell premixed soils appropriate for specific genera, and if all you have is one D. capensis, its a shame to buy a 2 cu ft. bale of peat and a forty pound bad of pool filter sand to make two cups of soil mix. Know what I mean?

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You buy small bags of "Black Gold" Sphagnum Peat Moss at OSH. Generally this is very good quality stuff. You can buy a small brick of Better-Gro Orchid Moss (it is Sphagnum moss) at Lowes. A D. capensis will be perfectly happy in straight peat moss or long fiber sphagnum moss.

If you can find it at Lowe's or Home Depot Quikrete commercial grade sand is silica sand. Get the coarse grade if you can find it. The medium and fine grades are too fine. A 50lb bag of sand sounds like a lot but sand is very dense and the bag is about the size of a large bed pillow. It doesn't go bad so you can just stash the bag out of the way somewhere. Your collection will grow and you will use it eventually.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    You buy small bags of "Black Gold" Sphagnum Peat Moss at OSH. Generally this is very good quality stuff. You can buy a small brick of Better-Gro Orchid Moss (it is Sphagnum moss) at Lowes. A D. capensis will be perfectly happy in straight peat moss or long fiber sphagnum moss.
    Thumbs up on the "Orchid Moss". I read somewhere else that it's just Chilean Sphag. In quality I'd put it in-between Canadian (the baled stuff), and New Zealand Sphag. (If someone could clarify that statement, you'd be teaching me as well.)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast