Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Having issues looking for soil

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamkruiser View Post
    I don't like the look of perlite, are there any recommendations on an alternative?
    You could use pumice which is a little denser than perlite.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    If you can find it at Lowe's or Home Depot Quikrete commercial grade sand is silica sand. Get the coarse grade if you can find it. The medium and fine grades are too fine.
    Do you know what mesh size of sand is considered course? The coarsest grade of Quikrete I've been able to find is 20, which looks a little too fine for me. What mesh do you use?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    I would caution you against repotting a plant just before you leave town for a time, leaving it in the care of someone else. Why? Because if it reacts badly to repotting, your interim caregivers probably won't know what to do if the plant starts looking peaky. Why not wait till you return and then you can invest time to locate the right materials. Several of the mail order CP nurseries sell premixed soils appropriate for specific genera, and if all you have is one D. capensis, its a shame to buy a 2 cu ft. bale of peat and a forty pound bad of pool filter sand to make two cups of soil mix. Know what I mean?
    I agree with this. Why repot? How long has it been in its current mix? It seems unnecessary, it should be fine in its current mix unless you'll be gone for a really really long time.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    16 mesh (about 1.5mm grains) is what you want. The Quikrete comes in 3 grades. You can ask them to order you a bag or two of the coarse grade which is close to 16 mesh. Mesh size is approximately the number of grains per inch.

20 mesh is usable in higher peat to sand mixtures.
    Last edited by Not a Number; 06-26-2014 at 08:21 PM.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu138 View Post
    I use the filter sand for swimming pools. It's available at any pool supply store.
    That's your best bet for sand, as well as 'Play Sand' at H.D. / Lowes, from the Building Materials section. I would skip the peat altogether and spend ~$5 for 'Orchid Moss', which is LFS. That's at Lowes. Don't use beach sand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can buy gallon ziploc bags of mix from California Carnivores.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go to ace they sell mosser lees long fibered spagnum moss

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123