What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Having issues looking for soil

I would like to repot my capensis soon, I am leaving for awhile Saturday and leaving the feeding and watering up to the family so I would like fresh and clean soil to reduce complications. I am having a very difficult time looking for small bags of sphagnum peat. I found beach sand at Lowes that I think is suitable, but Idk where to get the peat or whatever else is necessary. The only places close are Straders garden centers and Oakland nurseries, also Lowes and Home Depot but I cannot find what I need. Any help would be great, I'm new at this and it seems this town is happy to sell CP's but not what you need to care for them. Thank you

I only know places to buy it online in small bags, otherwise I just buy in bulk. Might as well buy in bulk, that way one has plenty extra for the future

I only ever see peat in HUGE bags. Maybe someone in your area could spare you a small amount from their stockpile?

I would second buying it online. FlyTrapShop carries several different media components as well as pre-mixed media.

Also, I would be cautious about that beach sand. I've heard that beach sand is usually too fine and contains a large amount of salt.

I would second buying it online. FlyTrapShop carries several different media components as well as pre-mixed media.

Also, I would be cautious about that beach sand. I've heard that beach sand is usually too fine and contains a large amount of salt.

You are correct about the sand, but it still works in a pinch (or if you can't find local supplies of blasting sand).

I also agree about buying the peat in bulk. I've never seen unfertilized peat outside of a 4 cubic meter bale. But you might be able to find a small bag of sphagnum and try planting it in that. It is a capensis...it shouldn't be too too picky.

I found some in a 10 qt bag. Brand name Hoffman. Says only 100% Canadian sphagnum peat moss. Now for the other agent. I don't like the look of perlite, are there any recommendations on an alternative? Unfortunately I'm on a time crunch, not like I'm suggesting anything to you all, you've been very helpful. I'm just an idiot and don't plan these things very well. I would by bulk peat but 85 compressed cubic feet is impractical, not to mention storage in my studio...

Almost all garden centers and landscape supply yards in my area sell small bags of Hoffman brand peat. I've used them in a pinch several times.

Desert sand? And I've heard "in a pinch" twice. What should I do differently otherwise?

I found some in a 10 qt bag. Brand name Hoffman. Says only 100% Canadian sphagnum peat moss. Now for the other agent. I don't like the look of perlite, are there any recommendations on an alternative? Unfortunately I'm on a time crunch, not like I'm suggesting anything to you all, you've been very helpful. I'm just an idiot and don't plan these things very well. I would by bulk peat but 85 compressed cubic feet is impractical, not to mention storage in my studio...

The Hoffman brand might be a locational thing. I haven't seen it in the Carolina's region.

As for an alternative to perlite (and since you're on a time crunch), maybe try Aquatic Plant Substrate? There are different brands, but the stuff you can find at most pet stores will work for drainage, so long as it's rinsed very, very well prior to mixing into your media.

These are just my opinions, and what I've done when I needed something I wasn't prepared for.

Desert sand? And I've heard "in a pinch" twice. What should I do differently otherwise?

I just give playground sand a good rinsing (3-4 times) and add in less than the recommended 50:50 solution, which seems to work better on larger size granules. My mixes are more like 70:30 Peat / Sand. It's a little more saturated, but everything I've planted in it seems happy.

The only reason I add less is to try and avoid compaction and clumps of sand, which is easy to do with fine-grained playground sand.

Last edited:
I use the filter sand for swimming pools. It's available at any pool supply store.

+1 on the beach sand. It is probably full of salts and minerals and that will slowly kill your plant (even a D. capensis). I would recommend play sand or, even better, swimming pool filter sand.

I use the filter sand for swimming pools. It's available at any pool supply store.

I'll have to check that out next time I'm visiting NC. I've been having a hard time finding silica blasting sand, and the shipping charges online are out of the question.

I just grow my capensis in pure peat moss.

I would caution you against repotting a plant just before you leave town for a time, leaving it in the care of someone else. Why? Because if it reacts badly to repotting, your interim caregivers probably won't know what to do if the plant starts looking peaky. Why not wait till you return and then you can invest time to locate the right materials. Several of the mail order CP nurseries sell premixed soils appropriate for specific genera, and if all you have is one D. capensis, its a shame to buy a 2 cu ft. bale of peat and a forty pound bad of pool filter sand to make two cups of soil mix. Know what I mean?

You buy small bags of "Black Gold" Sphagnum Peat Moss at OSH. Generally this is very good quality stuff. You can buy a small brick of Better-Gro Orchid Moss (it is Sphagnum moss) at Lowes. A D. capensis will be perfectly happy in straight peat moss or long fiber sphagnum moss.

If you can find it at Lowe's or Home Depot Quikrete commercial grade sand is silica sand. Get the coarse grade if you can find it. The medium and fine grades are too fine. A 50lb bag of sand sounds like a lot but sand is very dense and the bag is about the size of a large bed pillow. It doesn't go bad so you can just stash the bag out of the way somewhere. Your collection will grow and you will use it eventually.

You buy small bags of "Black Gold" Sphagnum Peat Moss at OSH. Generally this is very good quality stuff. You can buy a small brick of Better-Gro Orchid Moss (it is Sphagnum moss) at Lowes. A D. capensis will be perfectly happy in straight peat moss or long fiber sphagnum moss.

Thumbs up on the "Orchid Moss". I read somewhere else that it's just Chilean Sphag. In quality I'd put it in-between Canadian (the baled stuff), and New Zealand Sphag. (If someone could clarify that statement, you'd be teaching me as well.)

I don't like the look of perlite, are there any recommendations on an alternative?

You could use pumice which is a little denser than perlite.

If you can find it at Lowe's or Home Depot Quikrete commercial grade sand is silica sand. Get the coarse grade if you can find it. The medium and fine grades are too fine.

Do you know what mesh size of sand is considered course? The coarsest grade of Quikrete I've been able to find is 20, which looks a little too fine for me. What mesh do you use?

I would caution you against repotting a plant just before you leave town for a time, leaving it in the care of someone else. Why? Because if it reacts badly to repotting, your interim caregivers probably won't know what to do if the plant starts looking peaky. Why not wait till you return and then you can invest time to locate the right materials. Several of the mail order CP nurseries sell premixed soils appropriate for specific genera, and if all you have is one D. capensis, its a shame to buy a 2 cu ft. bale of peat and a forty pound bad of pool filter sand to make two cups of soil mix. Know what I mean?

I agree with this. Why repot? How long has it been in its current mix? It seems unnecessary, it should be fine in its current mix unless you'll be gone for a really really long time.

16 mesh (about 1.5mm grains) is what you want. The Quikrete comes in 3 grades. You can ask them to order you a bag or two of the coarse grade which is close to 16 mesh. Mesh size is approximately the number of grains per inch.

20 mesh is usable in higher peat to sand mixtures.

Last edited:

That's your best bet for sand, as well as 'Play Sand' at H.D. / Lowes, from the Building Materials section. I would skip the peat altogether and spend ~$5 for 'Orchid Moss', which is LFS. That's at Lowes. Don't use beach sand.

Back