Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Having issues looking for soil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having issues looking for soil

I would like to repot my capensis soon, I am leaving for awhile Saturday and leaving the feeding and watering up to the family so I would like fresh and clean soil to reduce complications. I am having a very difficult time looking for small bags of sphagnum peat. I found beach sand at Lowes that I think is suitable, but Idk where to get the peat or whatever else is necessary. The only places close are Straders garden centers and Oakland nurseries, also Lowes and Home Depot but I cannot find what I need. Any help would be great, I'm new at this and it seems this town is happy to sell CP's but not what you need to care for them. Thank you

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only know places to buy it online in small bags, otherwise I just buy in bulk. Might as well buy in bulk, that way one has plenty extra for the future
    Come to me flies and crawling bugs. This plant wants to give you great big hugs
    Aren't I pretty, don't I smell good? I'd come to you if I could
    But I can't so you must come to me, I'm sure we will get along splendidly

For the love of Science! Dragoness's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only ever see peat in HUGE bags. Maybe someone in your area could spare you a small amount from their stockpile?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would second buying it online. FlyTrapShop carries several different media components as well as pre-mixed media.

Also, I would be cautious about that beach sand. I've heard that beach sand is usually too fine and contains a large amount of salt.
    "Potential has a shelf life." -Margaret Atwood
    My meager growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by w03 View Post
    I would second buying it online. FlyTrapShop carries several different media components as well as pre-mixed media.

Also, I would be cautious about that beach sand. I've heard that beach sand is usually too fine and contains a large amount of salt.
    You are correct about the sand, but it still works in a pinch (or if you can't find local supplies of blasting sand).

I also agree about buying the peat in bulk. I've never seen unfertilized peat outside of a 4 cubic meter bale. But you might be able to find a small bag of sphagnum and try planting it in that. It is a capensis...it shouldn't be too too picky.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found some in a 10 qt bag. Brand name Hoffman. Says only 100% Canadian sphagnum peat moss. Now for the other agent. I don't like the look of perlite, are there any recommendations on an alternative? Unfortunately I'm on a time crunch, not like I'm suggesting anything to you all, you've been very helpful. I'm just an idiot and don't plan these things very well. I would by bulk peat but 85 compressed cubic feet is impractical, not to mention storage in my studio...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Almost all garden centers and landscape supply yards in my area sell small bags of Hoffman brand peat. I've used them in a pinch several times.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Desert sand? And I've heard "in a pinch" twice. What should I do differently otherwise?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast