Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Drosera sp.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drosera sp.

Hi guys. I'm new to this hobby, this is my current plants.Currently planning to build a terrarium but I got only few info on building one, I'm a bit hesitant about my lighting and fan for cooling my lights even I'm planning to put LED tube on it.

Any suggestions would be well appreciated.

I got it 5days ago, the picture was on its third day on me.

Drosera burmannii

Drosera spatulata

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to TF!

The sticky ones are my favorite. Tacks's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may not need to go all out and build a terrarium. My sundews live in an open tray under my lights, and most subtropical species (like the two you posted) grow great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    Welcome to TF!
    Thanks mate!

Quote Originally Posted by Tacks View Post
    You may not need to go all out and build a terrarium. My sundews live in an open tray under my lights, and most subtropical species (like the two you posted) grow great.
    Oh I see, but sometimes in the house its quite hot and the humidity is kinda low. I also consider when I got alot of them since I'm using a pinlight with 7w LED at the moment. thanks mate!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by felmor View Post
    Thanks mate!

Oh I see, but sometimes in the house its quite hot and the humidity is kinda low. I also consider when I got alot of them since I'm using a pinlight with 7w LED at the moment. thanks mate!
    Not sure what your climate and location is like, but I grow the majority of my Sundews (Capensis, Binata, Spatulata, Regia, Venusta etc) outside in a deep plastic container to increase humidity. They are really growing very well outside, even in Winter. I just bring the container inside at night during the winter months, except for the Regia which I leave outside.
    I've got Subtropical climate here.

PS. whats that growing behind your Spatulata? D. Indica?
    Last edited by Brolloks; 06-30-2014 at 07:37 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brolloks View Post
    Not sure what your climate and location is like, but I grow the majority of my Sundews (Capensis, Binata, Spatulata, Regia, Venusta etc) outside in a deep plastic container to increase humidity. They are really growing very well outside, even in Winter. I just bring the container inside at night during the winter months, except for the Regia which I leave outside.
    I've got Subtropical climate here.

PS. whats that growing behind your Spatulata? D. Indica?
    I don't really know for now, it was given as a freebie when I bought the 2 Drosera sp.

If I can propagate them, I'll try setting them up on outdoor setup.

The Most Uncreative Name in the History of Ever Plant Planter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forums! Don't worry too much about humidity for now. In my experience, the Drosera you're growing are not particularly picky.

(Postscript: I love the coloring on your D. spatulata!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only really humidity dependent drosera I know of are the woollies from australia and maybe the queensland trio. D. burmannii is pretty adaptable from what I've seen. What I've grown I keep at around 30% tray-local humidity, except for germination domes. The only effect I've watched from humidity is that the water in the air merges with the sugary dewdrops, which really doesn't do much at all. Might as well top-water them. But if anyone has seen humidity keep their plants robust and gluey then I won't argue!
    I don't know jack about LEDs so go on and experiment. We all will be waiting! Curious: why the cooling fan? How hot do your lights get?
    Propagate that burmanii. Those things seed like gremlins.
    What's that little bugger next to your spathulata? Looks pretty different from anything you've got cataloged.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast