What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to separate sundews.

I ended up with 3 adelae and one rotundifolia(?) in one rootball. How to you recommend I separate them into different pots to stop them from crowding?

I soak them in water for an hour or so then separate them. Seems to make it a lil easier.

I second the water treatment. Although I don't have a ton of dews, I often do this with my sarr seedlings once they outgrow their communal pots and it works well for them, so I presume it should also work for your dews!

I just repotted several dews. I used a lot of gentle wiggling to separate the roots. You can also use a toothpick to tease them apart a bit. It's fiddly but definitely doable.

Ok, will do. Dunno how the rotundifiolia got there though.

I just repotted several dews. I used a lot of gentle wiggling to separate the roots. You can also use a toothpick to tease them apart a bit. It's fiddly but definitely doable.

That's what I did, keeping a spray bottle handy set for "stream", so I could blast away stubborn chunks of media.

You guys that "soak them in water", I imagine you mean simply that you de-pot it and set the root-ball / media into a dish with water to let it soak? *Is imagining throwing sundews into a 5-gallon bucket full of water*

I find that different dews take separation differently to, binata, adelae and indica for example I can practically pull up and tear roots in the process of repotting and they don't care, hell new plants normally grow from the left over roots (excluding indica), pygmy drosera on the other hand go into shock and die if I am not pedantic, petiolaris generally go into shock for a couple months, but dilato-petiolaris doesn't seem to mind much.
And most rossete seem fine with rough care (spathulata, venusta........)

Back