User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rinsed with potential mineral water....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rinsed with potential mineral water....

Hello,

I recently repotted some of my carnivorous plants. This house has a built-in RO system, so our water is low mineral. The house system has so many other filters too, the water goes through (literally) five filtrations before reaching the faucet. However, I did not realize until now that the garage bypasses the RO system, so that water is pretty much as it is in the aquifer (we are on well water).
    I have been watering the plants with RO water for the past week. There does not seem to be much change yet.
    Should I get rid of the soil and remix or rinse the soil with RO water? Do you think the peat/sand should be okay since it was only exposed to the regular water once?

I went ahead and changed my Regia peat/sand out of precaution, I do not want to lose that plant! But if I might be okay with the others, I would like to spare them the stress of another transplantation.

Thanks for any input!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you know the TDS of the water ? Check that before hitting the panic button. Even if it does have high TDS and you've been using it, a few good flushes with RO should clean it out sufficiently.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu138 View Post
    Do you know the TDS of the water ? Check that before hitting the panic button. Even if it does have high TDS and you've been using it, a few good flushes with RO should clean it out sufficiently.
    Thanks for the reply Cthulhu138!

I remember calculating TDS in General Chemistry!

I believe it was considered high in the water, I do not remember an exact number though. By "flushing," do you mean rinsing water repeatedly in in the pot or taking the soil out and rinsing it before putting it back in?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just flushing the pots repeatedly should do it. I see no reason to repot unless the water is really horrible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, I will try that then. There was a slight problem with sulfur and iron bacteria causing odors before additional filtration was added, but it was not considered undrinkable after testing.

Thanks again for the advice, I really appreciate it!
    Last edited by DroseraLover; 07-12-2014 at 07:24 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, a few good flushes should do it. Barry Rice notes in his FAQ that he accidentally watered a whole collection of nepenthes once with saltwater meant for a reef aquarium, and they were perfectly fine after flushing with RO water.
    "Potential has a shelf life." -Margaret Atwood
    My meager growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL Ooops!

Quote Originally Posted by w03 View Post
    Yeah, a few good flushes should do it. Barry Rice notes in his FAQ that he accidentally watered a whole collection of nepenthes once with saltwater meant for a reef aquarium, and they were perfectly fine after flushing with RO water.
    My Grow/Want Lists
    -The horticulturalist formerly known as Shortbus-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am so glad to hear this, I was not too worried about my Pinguiculas since I believe they are okay with high mineral water, but I know that most Drosera can be killed by it. I managed to rinse the other pot through seven times, so hopefully they will survive.

I was worried about the one Regia I transplanted, it has been struggling lately for some reason. But a new budding leaf grew noticeably since this morning, so I guess that is a good sign. I previously had it in a sandier mix, I repotted it because I thought the mix might not have retained enough water. My other Regia is doing fine for some reason. I guess that is why so many people complain about the difficulty in growing them. I also placed this plant in a sunnier window, hoping that will help. Other plants sometimes blocked its sun in the other window, while the other one was right up front.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast