Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: capensis problems

The sticky ones are my favorite. Tacks's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think a lot of the problems people have with D. adelae come from low light levels. Just because they can survive with lower light doesn't mean they like it. For sundews more light almost always means a healthier, more adaptable plant.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacks View Post
    I think a lot of the problems people have with D. adelae come from low light levels. Just because they can survive with lower light doesn't mean they like it. For sundews more light almost always means a healthier, more adaptable plant.
    Oddly enough, the 'book' on D. adelae is to provide lower light levels for them than typical sundews. They are indeed enigmatic and frustrating.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ron Determann at the Atlanta Botanical Garden told me the key to adelae is drainage. I changed my mix to LFS/perlite (it's your plant actually, Paul), 6" square pot, still in a water tray but sit maybe 3-4" above the water line, and they are doing much better.
    Last edited by theplantman; 07-27-2014 at 02:16 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They do grow in dense shade in the wild, but many populatons also grow on water falls and rock faces in full sun all day, I have a few growing in my bog garden amongst D.petiolaris and sarras (full sun all day) and they do great, peat/sand mix and a water level of 1-2cm below the soil to 1cm over.

In these conditions they spread via roots like fire, but I also have some in a pot with coco husk and peat, no water tray, watered by rain (so they get pretty dry) and no full sun.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12