Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Tuberous Drosera Heat Stratification

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tuberous Drosera Heat Stratification

I am hoping to sow some D. auriculata and D. menziesii ssp. menziesii and was wondering what the best protocol was. I understand they need heat stratification, but is it a dry or wet stratification? How moist is too moist, and how long does it take for them to pop up? Cover or leave open to the elements?

Thanks a bunch!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I've read online, auriculata doesn't need stratification; just sow them normally in September.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neither of those species need stratification. Just store them on a shelf or in a drawer (do not refrigerate them) until fall then sow and grow.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome, thanks guys! So the appropriate average temp for sowing in fall is, say, 80F days? Or is that still too hot? I am planning on sowing outdoors and in a greenhouse.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    80 should be fine but don't let them get too much warmer than that.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu138 View Post
    80 should be fine but don't let them get too much warmer than that.
    Gotcha--much appreciated!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The tuberous drosera I have germinated and without any care (GA3, smoke, fire, ect) are Hookerii, auriculata, yilgarensis, pelata (about 6 localities) lunata, I think there is another?

However smoke treatment increased germination rates for all but Lunata and seems to make stronger seedlings, to smoke my plants I collect eucalyptus leaves and put them in a ceramic dish, I then light them up and let about half burn, I then throw the pot with the seeds and the ceramic dish in a 52L storage container, the smoke suffocates the fire within a minute so the container doesn't burn.
    I then leave this for 4-5hours (also the soil is moist at this stage), I then move them to an area with morning sun (2-4hours) and bright light (rest of the day), and use a 5cm water tray on a 15cm tall pot, I also mist the seed immediately after removing from the smoke box as it is a chemical in the smoke they like.

once they germinate the water table is dropped to 2-3cm, once they are 1cm in diameter they are slowly moved to more sun.

I am in a tropical climate and must start this just before winter so the plants have all winter to grow, then they are moved to a cool, shady part of the polyhouse and left in a 1cm tray that dry's and is refilled.

Except for 2 peltata variants and the lunata which I grow year round, very happily, they both flower all year, make plenty of tubers and are not fazed by temps in the 40's (C, about 95-100F), lunata also does best in pots that are flooded by 1-2mm in winter and in 15cm tall pots with a 5cm tray in summer.

Fresh tuberous seed (less than 3months) germinates in 1-2months for me, but I have had old seed (over a year) and it didn't germinate until summer (over 6months) and then died from the heat.