Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help with Drosera Hybrida

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

help with Drosera Hybrida

Hey, so did I kill it or is it going into dormancy?

thanks!

sorry if the picture is bad, I can reshoot

Last edited by ps3isawesome; 09-09-2014 at 08:01 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, we need to know the conditions it is in. This is a plant with a dormancy, but we need to know if the conditions it experiences would actually instigate dormancy
    Last edited by PsychoSarah; 09-09-2014 at 08:11 AM.
    Come to me flies and crawling bugs. This plant wants to give you great big hugs
    Aren't I pretty, don't I smell good? I'd come to you if I could
    But I can't so you must come to me, I'm sure we will get along splendidly

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that "the Butterfly Valley (fertile) D. hybrida or the non-fertile D. hybrida?

From the fibrous growth around the crown I would suspect dormancy. You can very carefully move some of the fibers away to see if there is a winter bud.

My Butterfly Valley plant has been dormant since the beginning of July. I've noticed that Drosera from the NE US such as New Jersey tend to go dormant on me during the summer.
    Last edited by Not a Number; 09-09-2014 at 08:14 AM.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uhhhhhhhhhhh it's a cross between filiformis and intermedia.... i'm sorry does that answer the question LOL I'm feeling clueless here.

Ya know, interesting you mentioned your Butterfly Valley Plant, because mine started developing growth around the crown around mid July. Even though it still produced lots of leafs and was catching bugs profusely.

Thank you ^_^ Not a Number

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3isawesome View Post
    uhhhhhhhhhhh it's a cross between filiformis and intermedia.... i'm sorry does that answer the question LOL I'm feeling clueless here.

Ya know, interesting you mentioned your Butterfly Valley Plant, because mine started developing growth around the crown around mid July. Even though it still produced lots of leafs and was catching bugs profusely.

Thank you ^_^ Not a Number
    -_- so you don't know what conditions induce dormancy. For a cross between temperate sundews -_- , which I stated have a winter dormancy. Of course, depending on where it came from its dormancy might be off, but still though.
    Come to me flies and crawling bugs. This plant wants to give you great big hugs
    Aren't I pretty, don't I smell good? I'd come to you if I could
    But I can't so you must come to me, I'm sure we will get along splendidly

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey PsychoSarah I must missed your message when I first read the replies.

Ya, it's def dormancy. Just wanna double check.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of the temperate sundews from the NE United States have a short growing period for me in Southern California. This includes D. rotundifolia, D. filiformis, D. intermedia and the hybrids D. belieziana and D. hybrida. And includes plants from New Hampshire, New York and New Jersey. All of them will be in full dormancy by the end of August. The plants from the New Jersey Pine Barrens will be fully dormant by mid-July. Contrast this to the D. rotundifolia from California which may not go dormant until late November if at all.

This may be due to the difference between the season change of the day-night period. The seasonal change in day-night length is less the closer latitude to the equator.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Note, the fibrous covered growth point is NOT indicative of a plant entering dormant stage, as the parent D. filiformis has this mat of hairs even when still actively growing. However, from the first picture I can see one of the growth points on the side of the main crown showing the numerous small, coiled leaf buds that do suggest it has gone dormant, so once it has lost all current leaves you can place it in cooler conditions.

Also, what NaN was referring to with the fertile/non-fertile D. x hybrida forms was that there is a nonnative population that was introduced in California, and some of the plants developed polyploidy and became fertile, reproducing plants. Being a hybrid, most forms of D. x hybrida save that population are fully sterile.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast