What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cleistogamy with D. madagascarensis?

DragonsEye

carnivorous plants of the world -- unite!
I have two D. mads. Both have flower spikes with plenty of buds, though one is much further along. However, I have yet to see a single flower. Instead, they seem to stop at the bud stage. I can see the pink/magenta of flower petals at the tip of the new buds and old with the those of the older having the withered look. They never got beyond this stage. Despite this, at least one of the oldest buds shows distinct signs of swelling/seedpod formation. This being my first try with D. mad, I have no idea how normal this is.

I'm no expert however this situation has happened to me and I nearly posted the same question about a month ago. I had a healthy, robust plant throw out a long thick flower stalk. I would see the bud, and the colorful tips, but then it would appear to be withered the next time I checked. For example, I have a D. aliciae that is currently flowering. One night I check it and it has colorful tips..the next morning I check it and it is blooming beautifully, that evening I check it and it is closed and withered.

I've read that some plants' flowers can last just several hours before closing up again. I'd check back on it at random times throughout the day and see if you're just missing it.

Most of the South African Drosera are self-fertilizing.

The flowers are very ephemeral and it is possible that you have just missed them. My plants have been flowering semi-regularly the past 4 years and I've only caught the flower open 2 or 3 times. The flowers abort about 25% of the time for me and simply dry up.

Here's a couple photos of the one time I caught a flower open nearly fully.

IMGP8179copy.jpg

IMGP8180copy.jpg

You can see what one of the previously opened flowers looks like. Seed yield is low for me. Maybe 1 out of 6 stalks will yield seed, about the same as D. admirabilis.

Drosera flowers also only open fully under bright enough light. The intensity required seems to differ between species, but if they don't get the right amount, they skip opening and just go to the withered stage afterward. Those flowers may or may not produce seeds, but it's more likely on self-pollinating species like madag.

There are a number of Drosera species or varieties that charactaristically the flowers are "shy to open" (personal communications with Ivan Snyder, his own words) that have little to light levels.

As far as the ephemeral nature of Drosera flowers I've seen them go from fully open to closed in the space of time it takes for me to collect and setup my camera gear and lights - say 15-20 minutes.

Last edited:
Ah. Good to know then. Thanks folks.

Btw, does a pod dehisce when fully mature? Have one pod that looks like it is opening not at the tip but at four equidistant points closer to the pod's "equator".

Very nice flower photos, NaN!

Last edited:
Back