Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Drosera murfetii

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grew this species from seed when it was still known as the giant form of D. arcturi. The giant form was considered more forgiving than the usual D. arcturi.

Good luck, you have your work cut out for you. If you live at a latitude where there is snow on the ground at least 3 months out of the year you can probably grow it outdoors all year. Otherwise you'll need to provide a cold dormancy. Refrigerator temperatures may not be sufficiently cold. More the better if you have swarms of midge flies or something similar to feed them during the growing season.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I, too have been given a specimen of this plant. Or, at least, I assume it is the same as the two already posted. I am told mine was originally from a Czech nursery, though they no longer show any for sale on their website.

After looking through the species description given by Allen Lowrie and J.G. Conran in their paper, available from the link DJ has given above, I am in doubt that this is actually D. murfetii as they have described it. On my plant there are two long carnivorous leaves and It looks to me like the plant is trying to produce more. According to the paper the single best identifier is the presence of short basal leaves accompanied by one or two only longer carnivorous leaves. My plant shows no sign of ever having had short basal leaves. This would make me believe it is D. arcturi.

Anyway, whatever species it is I am pleased to have it and I am hoping on figuring out what it wants to be healthy. I think the suggestions given above are a great place to start. I can't help but wonder if there is anyone out there who has had success with either of these two species.

Last edited by bluemax; 10-14-2014 at 04:39 PM.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a Number - you and I were posting at the same time so I hadn't seen your reply. How long were you able to keep yours alive and how large did it get? Growing from seed sounds even more difficult.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the input is much appreciated, thank you.

It looks like I should throw it outside for winter then. Our winters are not quite as cold as their native habitat, so hoping it can adapt and that the temps will be low enough for it to go dormant. It is in a small 2" pot, so I think I will repot it into something larger before putting it outside next month. I do have a larger pot outside with live sphagnum growing on top of a peat/perlite mix that I can use, although I just threw a bunch of Darlingtonia seed in it...might make nice companion plants, haha.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An update - first the photos:

Note the undercurled tentacles. I don't know if this is normal but it looks likes a reaction to the growing environment possibly.

The present growing conditions are humidity in the range of 50% to 80% and temperatures from the high 50's F. to the high 70's F. It seems to me the plant has grown better since I potted it in long-fibered sphagnum moss and perlite. I have tried to grow it in cooler conditions but growth was extremely slow. Of the 6 leaves it has produced in my care only one was non-carnivorous so far. I am a bit mystified as to the tentacles that bend backwards over the to the backside of the leaves. 'Just doesn't look right to me. Otherwise this plant seems healthy and vigorous and is being grown in the same conditions that I use for my South African sundews.

The additional information about the plant I am growing was that the original tag said: "Giant Form, the Druids, Tasmania". I am wondering if this is only source for this species at this time or if there are others?
    Last edited by bluemax; 03-04-2015 at 02:01 AM.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a really intriguing plant! Thank you for sharing.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks great Mark ! Curious to see if mine made it through the winter.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice D. murfetii Mark! Puts mine to shame, haha. Your conditions seem to be more to their liking. My big one is in the unheated garage window under a shop light and judging from yours may want a warmer environment. It is doing okay, but growing very slowly compared to yours.

I wanted to share that I was successful at propagating D. murfetii from a leaf cutting. I took one small leaf cutting and put half in an open shallow container of wet LFS with the leaf barely floating and the other half in a test tube of water. The leaf in the open LFS container produced strikes in a month or so under normal household conditions about 10” under a T12 shop light and the test tube container produced strikes in 2 months or so, also about 10” from the same shop light. The test tube strikes are still barely more than nubs and it will be some time before they are big enough to pot up. The pics below are the leaf-cutting plantlets from the LFS container that I potted up last week. The pot is in the house on a windowsill across the room from the shop light/shelf they were born on so they can get some real sunlight. I am using a weak orchid fertilizer spray to feed them. They are growing much slower than other sundews I have done from leaf cuttings, but conditions may be the reason for that.

[IMG]D. murfetii babies by Djoni C, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]D. murfetii leaf-cutting plantlets by Djoni C, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Last edited by DJ57; 03-05-2015 at 10:26 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast