Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Drosera murfetii

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @bluemutiny - It will be interesting to hear the results of your tests! As Drosera seed goes those are not too small, ha! Thanks for the photo.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemax View Post
    @bluemutiny - It will be interesting to hear the results of your tests! As Drosera seed goes those are not too small, ha! Thanks for the photo.
    haha yeah, I remember my D. auriculata seeds from end of last year, they were like dust!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am also interested to see the results of your tests. It is nice to see you experimenting with the Arcturi seed based on your experience. I have had similar experience with Drosophyllum (despite what the literature says) with seed sprouting in spring after being sown outside in late summer and left out in the elements all winter without any treatment/scarification; seed exposed to hot temps, torrential downpours, freezing temps, and even snow cover at times over winter.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that even with plants that are commonly grown there is a lot of misinformation floating around, albeit well-intentioned misinformation. It is good that there are those who are willing to take some risks and actually test what we think we know.
    Last edited by bluemax; 03-25-2015 at 07:16 PM.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's growing season here again and everything is waking up. My Arcturi are coming back strong for their third season, however my germination test ended up being a complete failure due to a bird digging up some moss in my bog and clogging the outlet - Shortly after it rained and the bog flooded, meaning the seeds were dispersed from their correct locations. C'est la vie!

There are several new Arcturi popping up around the old ones (I guess from either dispersed seeds in the flood or just what dropped from last season's flowers). To me this suggests, given the bog has not been exposed to frost or any significant cold, that they don't necessarily need alpine-esque stratification.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fascinating thread, and one that is of great relevance to me now that I am the proud owner of these two tiny D. murfetii seedlings.

From what I understand (upon reading of this thread), is that southeast Alaska may actually be an ideal clime for D. arcturi.

I wonder if, ultimately, the outdoor climate here could be viable for D. murfetii as well. Right now I have these babies inside under my lights, with a good portion of the rest of my highland tropical carnivorous plants. I hope that I can nurse them to a larger size where they can potentially go outside in the bog one day.

Wish me luck.

Alos, kudos to bluemutiny for the great information - I would be absolutely intrigued to see some pictures of the Kiwi muskeg you got over there. It sounds awesome.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My experiences relate to mainland Australian populations of D. arcturi and not relevant to comments above regarding NZ north island forms.

I can confirm that the populations here do experience at least 3 months of the year where they are buried beneath a significant amount of snow. As far as I am aware, the Tasmanian D. murfetii experiences similar conditions in winter, albeit often at lower altitudes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good luck! How old is that plant, do you know?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234