Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Drosera murfetii

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drosera murfetii

Last Saturday I was gifted a D. murfetii, a new species from Tasmania. Being so new to cultivation there is not much I can find about caring for it, although they do grow alongside D. arcturi in the wild so I will follow grow guides for them. Wish me luck. Has anyone here had any experience with D. murfetii?

[IMG]Drosera murfetii, New species 2014 by Djoni C, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]D. murfetii by Djoni C, on Flickr[/IMG]

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nice! Never heard of it, kinda looks like a young(?) (newly carnivorous (too tired to think of a proper word)) D. capensis. I like it. Good luck!
    Andrew
    Last edited by adnedarn; 10-13-2014 at 10:28 PM.
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are very similar to D. arcturi. There is a description of them here: http://icps.proboards.com/thread/6775/drosera-murfetii

The sticky ones are my favorite. Tacks's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! I'll be checking in on this thread. How exciting to grow a plant new to cultivation.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably short growing season. Might need to go dormant. D, acturi may need yo be fed a lot. Dunno if this new one is the same
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 03-04-2015 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Nomenclature

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D. murfetii is the larger of the two Australian tundra species, and supposedly the easier one to grow. With their short growing season and small number of carnivorous leaves, lots of food probably is good, and they need very cool temperatures at all times. And of course, during winter they need a long, very cold dormant period, even dropping well below freezing at times is tolerated. High levels of light also are probably needed, what with their high elevation.
    I may or may not be getting one soon, so we can both see how well they grow.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neat opportunity. I'm sure you will give it your best shot! You're a talented grower!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As stated above, this is a newly described species from a very small range in the Hartz Mountains Tasmania where it grows alongside it's close relative, D.arcturi. Until recently, this plant was thought to just be a large form of D.arcturi, and like it's close relative only sends out 1 or 2 carnivorous leaves at a time. There is also a suspected 3rd species similar to these 2 growing around Queenstown. D.murfetii is supposedly easier to grow than D.arcturi but, I guess we'll know for sure here soon. As Mach said, it enjoys a short, cool growing season, cold dormancy and lots and lots of food. Both of these species usually grow in clumps of the Cushion Plant (Donatia and other closely related species) which leads me to believe it may do well growing in mounds of well established live sphagnum. This plant seems like it would be a good candidate for your bog Djoni. I was also just gifted one of these and it's already begun to start dormancy but, I think I'll keep it in the basement this year with my other Zone 7 plants. Our winters here might be a bit much for it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast