Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: mildew ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That brand looks ok, but its pretty pricey.
    Last edited by w03; 10-24-2014 at 03:52 PM.
    "Potential has a shelf life." -Margaret Atwood
    My meager growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by etcwilliams View Post
    i found Hoffman 15503 Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss , and it has no ferts , even pics of people using it with fvts
    I've used the Hoffman stuff before. I found it locally once but it was also good in a pinch, from amazon last winter when nowhere local had any peat moss. It will work just fine and if your buying for a single pot there's no use getting a huge bale of peat from somewhere.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hcarlton View Post
    There are a number of issues here:
    3. You have the plant in a terra-cotta pot. This will encourage mold growth, which is likely what you are seeing, but it also can absorb salts and will release those into the soil which can kill the plant.
    Why would a terracotta pots encourage mold growth? Aeration generally promotes oxygen loving bacteria which would then compete with/breakdown common molds like trichoderma. Also, terracotta pots evaporate away more water, and over-watering is a common cause of mold, so you would think a terracotta pot would overall discourage mold growth.

Increased light will fight mold and bacteria, by regulating each detritus organism through evaporation (dryness) you can create a healthier more balanced system.
    Last edited by David F; 10-26-2014 at 03:58 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Terra-cotta is notorious for mold growth because the entire surface of the pot ends up moist and therefore a perfect home for all kinds of mold, algae, and other things that plants tend not to like. And trichoderma fungi are typically beneficial, the ones that grow on the pots and are a detriment to plants are Botrytis, sooty molds, and others.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That does make sense, as the pores create more mold friendly surface area. Thanks for the clarification!

I'm a mushroom grower, so I think about mold a lot .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A terra-cotta pot might not encourage mold in a top-watering scenario, but the plant in question is watered using the tray system. Both the soil and pot will become saturated with water, and the porous nature of the terra-cotta pot will ensure that it stays wet as hcarlton mentioned, and encourage mold growth.
    "Potential has a shelf life." -Margaret Atwood
    My meager growlist

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep wanting to thank people for their posts, but am not able to do so for some reason.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can bring your plant upstairs and put it in a sunny window, one that gets 5+ hours of direct sun, you could solve a lot of your problems. If you can't you can't but it would be a big help.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast