What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mildew ?

It's pretty surprising that the plant deteriorated that much in just three days. Was the plant already shrinking before you repotted it?

before i repotted it, it looked like the photo on the 1st page, now when i pulled the plant out it got squished a bit, and cleaning off the soil, including from the root, one root came off, and it got squished repotting it, i didnt press down to hard, and some soil did get on the top of the plant.

I dunno what ya think? i did contact the seller and tell him about the plant and the issues with the pot it came in, it was bought in may..so i dunno what luck i have from getting a return.

Last edited by a moderator:
Might be root rot if you actually damaged the plant or the plants roots. Is the base of the plant dark or squishy?

Last edited:
Might be root rot if you actually damaged the plant or the plants roots. Is the base of teh plant dark or squishy?[/QUOTE

i dunno, i dont want to pull it out again, the roots were dark & wet, but they were covered in the soil.

If it IS root rot, at this point there wouldnt be anything you could do. So it isnt worth pulling it out. I guess only time will tell :/ Just dont give up on it, often times plants will come back from the grave even if it looks completely dead.

Last edited:
I doubt it is root rot, unless there's fertilizer or some other nasties in the soil. Drosera generally don't rot from the bottom up in short periods of time like Nepenthes or Pinguicula sometimes do. Even if they start rotting, they generally recover much more readily than the aforementioned genera do.

In my experience, plants that "melt" like that may have suffered some sort of severe physical damage that affected the entire crown (being frozen, bruised severely, dehydrated to the point of withering, etc.).

Last edited:
I doubt it is root rot, unless there's fertilizer or some other nasties in the soil. Drosera generally don't rot from the bottom up in short periods of time like Nepenthes or Pinguicula sometimes do. Even if they start rotting, they generally recover much more readily than the aforementioned genera do.

In my experience, plants that "melt" like that may have suffered some sort of severe physical damage that affected the entire crown (being frozen, bruised severely, dehydrated to the point of withering, etc.).

well its all gone now, but im able to return it so..thats good.. i wont buy from them again..i got a new one coming from flytrap shop or store .com from this site, btw is the other site any good?

btw is the other site any good?

Its against the rules to discuss any CP sites other than the one on this site, I got temp muted for it a few weeks ago.
Shhhh.

Its against the rules to discuss any CP sites other than the one on this site, I got temp muted for it a few weeks ago.
Shhhh.

Wow wish i knew, i wouldn't bought from them. Very nazi. I guess ill have to find another forum, thanks sash!

This forum is supported by the shop, and it's direct competition possibly to discuss other US-based stores. It's to help protect the business and therefore help keep this forum up and running......

Wow wish i knew, i wouldn't bought from them. Very nazi. I guess ill have to find another forum, thanks sash!

Uhm. Uh. Erm.
Well this is not what I expected to happen.

It is not Nazi at all, the shop funds the forums, as Hcarlton said advertising other shops is direct competition against theirs, which can jeopardize the forums. It is entirely reasonable to ask people not to discuss other shops as it can send the forums under. I believe however if you want to ask specific questions about vendors, PMs containing other vendors is OK.

Last edited:
I already PM'ed you about this :p.

First of all, its probably not a good idea to flaunt one of the rules and then call them "nazis" unless you want the banhammer! A lot of others forums have very similar rules, so its not just TF being particularly strict. There are places that ban all discussion on CP trades and sales to keep discussion focused intellectually.

In any case, the rule isn't to force members to only buy plants from the shop or anything like that. If I recall correctly, its because there's a lot of unregistered people and people just starting off that browse the forums/chatbox and sort of just lurk. If we were allowed to discuss vendors, it would drive away a lot of these people from buying plants at the forum store.

Furthermore, in places where discussing vendors is allowed, there is a tendency for people to give bad reviews to certain vendors because of some incident, and the fans of said vendor then start arguing back, resulting in large conflicts.

Last edited:
I love that there are 6 pages of helpful replies in this thread, all trying to help him, and then he calls us Nazis. Hmmm.

etcwilliams,
When you water your CP, are you using purified, mineral-free water? Such as clean rain water, distilled, deionized, or R.O. purified water. If you use ordinary tap water, in many parts of the world, tap water has enough minerals in it, such as calcium or sodium (especially true if it comes through a water softener), that it can quickly cause the issues that you are describing, here. If you don't have a TDS (total dissolved solids) tester, it is easy to determine if your water has excess minerals in it, by pouring some into a clean clear glass dish, then letting it evaporate. The deposit remaining on the glass, after the water evaporates, can give you an idea as to the minerals in your water. If the glass shows much of a water-spot effect, then it is certainly too mineral-rich for a Drosera plant. Generally water used for CPs should have 10 ppm (parts per million) of dissolved minerals, or less.

It can also be helpful to include your general location in your profile, such as state (if you're in the USA), so others can have an idea as to what conditions you would be most likely to easily provide - given your local/general climate. For instance, I once lived where the tap water was less than 10 ppm and temperate CP could be grown outside there, year-'round and tropical/sub-tropical CP, in spring, summer, and autumn.

Back