Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: mildew ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mildew ?

i brought my plant in as its fall now and it sitting in a dish of water near a basement window. i noticed there's a white substance around the inner side of the pot which is a clay pot, and oneside of my plant is turning black and mushy. what do i do?

heres a pic , its the best i can do for you to see it,. BTW is was sitting in a water dish, i did remove it for now.

Last edited by etcwilliams; 10-23-2014 at 12:26 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a number of issues here:
    1. Your plant needs way more light than it's getting. The elongate leaves and pure green color are signs of etiolation.
    2. This lack of light makes your plant far more susceptible to diseases, which is why it's turning black.
    3. You have the plant in a terra-cotta pot. This will encourage mold growth, which is likely what you are seeing, but it also can absorb salts and will release those into the soil which can kill the plant.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hcarlton View Post
    1. Your plant needs way more light than it's getting. The elongate leaves and pure green color are signs of etiolation.
    2. This lack of light makes your plant far more susceptible to diseases, which is why it's turning black.
    3. You have the plant in a terra-cotta pot. This will encourage mold growth, which is likely what you are seeing, but it also can absorb salts and will release those into the soil which can kill the plant.
    +1
    Will also add that high light/heat levels retard the germination/growth of many molds and fungi. I'd get them out of the basement into a decent windowsill or at the very least, consider growing under artificial light. Windowsill light is lopsided. By this I mean that one side of the pot stays too dry/hot and bright, while the shady side stays cold, wet, and breeds pockets of disease.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hcarlton View Post

1- its fall were i iam , so its gonna have less light

2- i do have a glass aqurauim thats has frogs/toads and lizards , could i put it in there?

3- thats the pot the plant came in, and it was doing fine during the summer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theplantman View Post
    +1
    Will also add that high light/heat levels retard the germination/growth of many molds and fungi. I'd get them out of the basement into a decent windowsill or at the very least, consider growing under artificial light. Windowsill light is lopsided. By this I mean that one side of the pot stays too dry/hot and bright, while the shady side stays cold, wet, and breeds pockets of disease.

well what i do to kill whats on it now, or just wipe the white stuff off , and thats all?

so what about the water levels, since it fall do i give it less water...or winter?

and yeah i do have a aquraim with replites in it should i put the plant in there ??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't put it in the aquarium. The reptiles can tear up your plants, defecate/urinate on them, and otherwise kill them. As others have said, more light is needed for certain. You can try to kill the mold with things like CP-safe fungicides, but it can harm your plant and is only a temporary measure at best. The mold will inevitably come back no matter what you do unless you improve your conditions. Your water levels are probably not the problem. Your plant (Drosera spatulata) is tropical and grows year round so you do not need to change the water level.

In addition, the rotting sundew that you observed along with the mold indicate that your soil is probably decomposing or has contaminants. The clay pot might even be leaching chemicals into the soil, as previously mentioned. Repotting it into fresh soil in a plastic pot will solve this. (I would recommend planting it in something like 50/50 peat/sand or peat/perlite, since it looks like its growing in pure peat right now).

Overall, your light is the main problem that needs to be solved. It doesn't matter that it is fall right now, your plant needs more light and will continue to decline unless you give it more light. If you can't get anything else right now, you can use a desklamp to supplement light levels.
    Last edited by w03; 10-23-2014 at 03:48 PM.
    "Potential has a shelf life." -Margaret Atwood
    My meager growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by w03 View Post
    Overall, your light is the main problem that needs to be solved. It doesn't matter that it is fall right now, your plant needs more light and will continue to decline unless you give it more light. If you can't get anything else right now, you can use a desklamp to supplement light levels.

as using the desk lamp would it be ok to use a lamp thats uses creed led bulb in it?

also should i take a of the extisting soil from the pot its in over to the new one?
    Last edited by etcwilliams; 10-23-2014 at 05:08 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by w03 View Post
    I wouldn't put it in the aquarium. The reptiles can tear up your plants, defecate/urinate on them, and otherwise kill them. As others have said, more light is needed for certain. You can try to kill the mold with things like CP-safe fungicides, but it can harm your plant and is only a temporary measure at best. The mold will inevitably come back no matter what you do unless you improve your conditions. Your water levels are probably not the problem. Your plant (Drosera spatulata) is tropical and grows year round so you do not need to change the water level.

In addition, the rotting sundew that you observed along with the mold indicate that your soil is probably decomposing or has contaminants. The clay pot might even be leaching chemicals into the soil, as previously mentioned. Repotting it into fresh soil in a plastic pot will solve this. (I would recommend planting it in something like 50/50 peat/sand or peat/perlite, since it looks like its growing in pure peat right now).

out of these what would you recommend

http://www.homedepot.com/b/N-5yc1v/N...estoreoption=1

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast