Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sundew identification

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully your little plantlets will soon mature to resemble these ->

Perhaps if you could stimulate your mystery plants growth, with some tiny droplets of very dilute fertilizer solution, applied directly to its trap blades, weekly, then it might mature more rapidly. It is a technique that has worked for me, many times. I use "Jack's Classic All Purpose 20-20-20 Water Soluble Plant Food", just a tiny pinch (about the amount that will cover the end of a pencil eraser), dissolved in a quart of distilled/R.O. purified water. If you have a TDS (total dissolved solids) meter, it should read between 60 - 80 ppm. A toothpick is an easy way to get the tiny droplets, just where you want them, on the leaf traps, not in the media. If the fertilizer is the correct strength, the traps should respond as if to prey.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 11-14-2014 at 07:20 PM.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can only hope my Venusta grow up to resemble those. They look amazing.

I will have a look for "Jack's Classic All Purpose 20-20-20 Water Soluble Plant Food" not sure if we will have that here in South Africa though. Would any "All Purpose 20-20-20 Water Soluble Plant Food" work or should it be the "Jacks" brand?

Another question, should the leaf be dewy when applying the 20-20-20 Water Soluble Plant Food? I know with my normal feeding, either betta fish pellets or ground up bloodworms mixed with RO water the leaves should be dewy.
    Last edited by Brolloks; 11-14-2014 at 11:33 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure the brand isn't critical, just the dilution. And I'm sure leaves with a little dew would work best, but I believe any live leaves would suffice. The fertilizer should soon inspire more leaves to be produced. Once larger leaves are being produced, more typical feeding should be suitable. I use a little, most all the time, but after the plants are vigorously growing larger, I often switch to using dried, fresh insects, ground to a powder.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See Hanrahan, Bob (1986) Simplistic CP Fertilization Facts. Carniv. Pl. Newslett. 15(2):53

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn...PNv15n2p53.pdf
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Couldn't help it had to show off my d.venusta interesting article NAN
    Last edited by corky; 11-15-2014 at 03:06 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow Corky, your plants look very healthy! what kind of conditions are you growing them in?
    What are your Min and Max temps?

Thanks for the link, very good read.
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    See Hanrahan, Bob (1986) Simplistic CP Fertilization Facts. Carniv. Pl. Newslett. 15(2):53
    I had a look in my shed and found some water soluble fertilizer "for young developing plants and seedlings" it's a 19:8:16
    Last edited by Brolloks; 11-15-2014 at 01:27 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put my venusta (and most south African, south American and Asiatic drosera) through temps as cold as 8-10C on winter nights to as hot as 40-42C days, but averages are winters of 10-12C nights, days of the high 20's and summer is 23-27C nights and days of 30-35C.

Humidity is constantly above 70%, but with very good airflow and they grow with various byblis.

Natalensis, capensis, binata, a few petiolaris complex, burmannii, spathulata, adelae and the indica complex are all happy in the same temps but humidity as low as 30-40% by day and 50-60% at night for the year (the wet season being an exception).

So the sub-tropical/tropical drosera are pretty forgiving once they are acclimated to your conditions, and many temperate/sub-tropical (such as binata and filiformis) will also take more than you would think.

You also shouldn't have to wait long for a flower if they are well grown, for me most seed grown drosera flower within a year of germination (expecially allicea, spatulata's and any annuals, burmannii and indica after a few months flower)

Fish food is also a great asset to speed growth, for seedlings betta fish food pellets, for fighter fish (hence betta) and are small granules, then for larger gold fish pellets, but you need air flow or they mould, they are great if you have more plants that time to catch insects.

Alternatively if your in a rural setting rotting fruit can be left out, I sometimes do this in my greenhouse, it attracts hoards of fruit fly, this is mostly for neps and pings but drosera catch them to.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12