Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Sphagnum Overgrowing Seedlings

Getting There...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sphagnum Overgrowing Seedlings

I started a lot of seeds I got form ICPS a few months ago. Some haven't germinated yet, while other, particularly D. tokaiensis, are taking off. However, being started on shredded sphagnum, some of this has come to life and it rapidly outgrowing most of the germinated species. Will the seedlings survive and eventually emerge victorious? Just not sure what to do in the situaiton!

Thanks for any help,
    Kyle

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Repot or trim down the moss. If the seedlings have 4 or more trap leaves you should be able to transplant them without problems.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I've done, is use live Sphagnum to germinate difficult to germinate Drosera seed, then use high magnification reading glasses and a dissecting needle to transplant them into primarily peat based media (most mixed with perlite and washed silica sand). This has worked well for me.

If you leave them, some may be able to survive, or not. If you prefer Drosera plants to Sphagnum, I'd move them elsewhere, at least until they're mature.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A