1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just added a slew of pics to the original post. ^

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I admire your collection of tuberous dews every year. Fantastic! They are my favorite group of plants.

After about 5 years of trying, I finally got D. hookeri to survive outdoors through a summer dormancy. Sat it alongside my cacti, in fact! I don't have indoor space to grow tubers, and Georgia's hot/rainy summers are terrible for them. Now that it's possible, however, I can hopefully begin trialing other species.

I'm also totally gonna saute up some tubers with garlic and butter when I make some spares =). Anyone ever tried one?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D.hookeri is definitely among the easiest and most prolific of all tuberous Drosera. It's a true weed in my collection. It self pollinates readily and spreads copious amounts of seeds around other pots in the vicinity. The seed of this species does not need hot stratification and/or smoke treatment like many other species to germinate and they can reach flowering size in only 2 years ! It's also one of the species that will tolerate some moisture during dormancy. Great species to start out with !

carnivorous plants of the world -- unite! DragonsEye's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very cool, Johnny! Of the ones you showed, zonaria and squamosa I found to be particularly fetching.

In your experience, is there a notable range in degree of difficulty? (Oops! Posted before seeing that you mentioned hookeri as a good beginner but still ... any input on others?)
    Last edited by DragonsEye; 11-25-2014 at 07:02 PM.
    "Blessed are the cracked….
    For they are the ones who let in the light."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fantastic info and pics, thanks for posting Johnny.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonsEye View Post
    Very cool, Johnny! Of the ones you showed, zonaria and squamosa I found to be particularly fetching.

In your experience, is there a notable range in degree of difficulty? (Oops! Posted before seeing that you mentioned hookeri as a good beginner but still ... any input on others?)
    In my experience, there are the easy, prolific species species like peltata, menziesii, aberrans, hookeri, macrantha, auriculata...... etc... which will even tolerate some moisture during dormancy and then there are the rest which seem to need more precise conditions. The only species I've had any trouble with so far is D.gigantea. D.squamosa and D.zonaria are well within the moderately difficult range but if you stick to these guidelines you should have no problem growing either one. D.squamosa is reluctant to spread asexually while D.zonaria pretty much ONLY spreads asexually and rarely flowers even in the wild.

carnivorous plants of the world -- unite! DragonsEye's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info! (Why do I always seem to gravitate towards the more challenging ones? )
    "Blessed are the cracked….
    For they are the ones who let in the light."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonsEye View Post
    Thanks for the info! (Why do I always seem to gravitate towards the more challenging ones? )
    I wouldn't consider either one to be exceptionally difficult, you just have to be vigilant with their seasonal needs.

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast