What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Very impressive. If i'm successful I might have to load up on them next year lol.

With limited cold protection in winter I have hope that tuberous Drosera are totally doable in Georgia. Cannot wait to try more species outside!

When I was growing these I lived in Atlanta so it is absolutely doable. Check my pinned thread for more details

'm up to almost 40 species myself. I've done very well these and they're among my favorite carnivorous plants.

Impressive list. These were among my favorites as well. Been contemplating trying them again but I just do not have the time that I used to have...

A few updates......

Drosera basifolia

Drosera menziesii - D. subhirtella to the left, D. modesta to the right.

Drosera purpurascens is up.

Drosera ramellosa

Drosera rupicola starting to stretch out.

Drosera zigzagia

Last edited:
Wow, those D. basifolia and D. menziesii are amazing!

Last edited:
What photoperiod are you using? My stuff outside is just barely creeping out of dormancy, but yours are already fully mature!!

Mine are kept in a cold basement under lights. They're getting 10 hours of light right now but that will start being raised back up in April. I'm sure it starts getting colder a lot sooner here in Boston than in Georgia, this probably accounts for my plants being so far ahead of yours. I start seeing the first signs of growth in August or September and by xmas most of mine are usually up.

For some reason I find the flowers really appealing on tubers. I wasnt even considering the taller varieties but theyre growing on me.

The taller ones have some of the nicest flowers.

Im starting to see that!

D. coccipetala [not an accepted name]...has the prettiest flowers ive seen...yet. Gotta have one of those!

Last edited by a moderator:
D. coccipetala is not a tuberous species but rather one of the ZA winter growers related to D. pauciflora and D. cistiflora.

Here are some D. modesta flowers.

D. menziesii

Last edited:
Ahhh...ok. Thanks for the heads up. Those are definitely attractive flowers. I like the D. modesta...that fuzzy look. Are the flowers big in comparison to other Drosera? They look huge.

Thats an awesome pic kulamauiman!

Yeah, most are fairly large. Very showy.

Last edited:
Ahhh...ok. Thanks for the heads up. Those are definitely attractive flowers. I like the D. modesta...that fuzzy look. Are the flowers big in comparison to other Drosera? They look huge.

silver half dollar sized if not more for the D. menziesii

Now I'm really excited about getting a couple of the tubers:).

Drosera lowriei

Drosera menziesii - Self Cannibalizing

Drosera peltata

Drosera porrecta - Southern Form

Drosera porrecta - Northern Form

Drosera purpurascens

Drosera rupicola

Last edited:
This thread makes me want to try some tubers lol mybe next year

Back