Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rainbows in the Midwest

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice Byblis; I've heard of using 10% bleach to leach out the inhibitor, but I never knew that water worked for B. liniflora as well.

growtopia: The common name is "rainbow plant", which is what the thread title comes from. If sunlight shines across them at a certain angle, it can produce a small "rainbow". (Though the same effect can be seen with almost any wet surface with droplets on it).
    "Potential has a shelf life." -Margaret Atwood
    My meager growlist

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent plants. I still have never grown this genus. You're making it look real easy though!
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are rather easy (at least the species I've tried so far). Though if the B. rorida is any indication, very warm temps are appreciated.....
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least 2 of the B. guehoi are fast growers
    B. guehoi by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the biggest I think I've ever gotten my B. liniflora. Most are flowering and setting seed now too
    B. liniflora by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
    B. liniflora by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
    And of comparable size to the smaller liniflora but seemingly a long way to go before maturity (at just what size do these guys start branching?), at least 2 of the B. guehoi are going strong. The other two are lagging behind somewhat.
    B. guehoi by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
    Growlist

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you ever tried the bleach method? I successfully started B. liniflora with such technique I never knew if it was truly necessary....
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-30-2015 at 10:40 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may be referring to this thread.

I initially made that observation, in the late 1980's, while I was experimenting with growing various CP in sterile media. The Byblis liniflora seed didn't actually need the treatment in order to germinate, but the treatment did speed up the process of germination. i always wondered if this process would expedite the germination of more difficult to germinate species, such as Byblis gigantea, but, I have not yet obtained any such seed, to test it on.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used the bleach method on both the B. rorida and B. guehoi. B. liniflora I just soak in water for ~20 minutes, which removes a great deal of the inhibiting factor in the seed coat much like bleach does in the other species. Without bleach, I had no success with the two less common species.
    Growlist

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast