Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rainbows in the Midwest

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @hcarlton

Hi, your B. guehoi plants would need a larger pot. If you don't want to risk losing all the plants to repotting, then there is likely to be 1-2 adult plants left in the end. I was advised by Isao-san on ICPS forum to plant one plant per 5"-7" pot (or at most 2 plants) and IME is true - the larger tropical species don't like another planted too close to them in the same pot. I've kept up to 15 B. liniflora plants in one pot but with B. filifolia and B. guehoi, a bunchful of them ends up dead as soon as the roots start crowding in the same pot.
    Cindy

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately I am somewhat limited in space, the cup they are in is the biggest thing I can fit in that space. And it's deeper than a lot of the other pots I use and they have continued growing steady thus far, so if nothing else it will be a test to see how long they'll grow together. And, if all else fails I always have more seeds to work with.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are theses plants rare in cultivation now? They seemed to be common a few years ago, now I have problems finding seeds for sale at a reasonable price.
    larry
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigflytrap/
    Save a tree, legalize cannabis.
    Be enlightened

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    B. liniflora is relatively common (and I always have seeds), but the others have never been terribly plentiful.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    I have been meaning to try my hand at cultivating Byblis since I first read about them in the Savage Garden. Very beautiful plants indeed.
    Will be ordering seeds from Czplants soon but just wanted your opinion on which would be the best to start off with.

I was thinking Byblis gigantea (If they have seed supply) and Byblis liniflora-giant (If they have seed)
    They have aquatica and guehoi listed on their site as well.

The environments I have available are:
    . Outside in the sun - 5 hours of morning sun. Temps in summer have gone up to 35C
    Or
    . Indoor Grow rack(Busy building) Will have 4 t8 2foot tubes on for around 16 hours. Temps in house never really goes above 28C

Thanks
    Last edited by Brolloks; 02-13-2015 at 04:39 AM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The tropical species won't have much issue with high temps, though a little shade may do good, and can probably be grown outside during the summer months. Cool weather will slow them considerably. The more Mediterranean species, like B. gigantea, will certainly do fine outside in your region year round.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome, will definitely be ordering some seeds. thanks!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The biggest B. rorida decided to make an early flower. Unfortunately, this is as far as it got before the stupid mouse that got into the house chewed off the bud.....
    B. rorida Lake Campion by hawken.carlton, on Flickr

On a side note, Mr. mouse is no longer extant and will not be bothering my plants again...
    Growlist

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast