Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rainbows in the Midwest

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently the size of the pots is not as much of a constraint as others have painted it to be. Both the big B. guehoi are getting ready to flower
    B. guehoi Kimberleys by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hcarlton View Post
    Apparently the size of the pots is not as much of a constraint as others have painted it to be. Both the big B. guehoi are getting ready to flower
    B. guehoi Kimberleys by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
    Really beautiful! I am going to order a bunch of Seeds and live plants from CzPlants very soon! I am just nervous about sending live plants through the mail and it ending up dead on arrival.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't risk shipping plants of Byblis personally.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, will get seeds only.

Highjack on: Do you think it's ok to send some of the other CP species (Live plants)? Ping,VFT,Some tropical/subtropical Drosera. Highjack off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A little

Only once, in the late 1970's did I attempt to receive live Byblis liniflora plants shipped from southern California, while at the time I was in Memphis, Tennessee. They were purchased from W.I.P., and though it only took a few days, none of the plants survived the trip. Fortunately W.I.P. sent a packet of seed, as insurance, with the plants, and I'm still growing offspring, from those original seed, many plant generations later. I never tried having live Byblis plants shipped, ever again. Perhaps if the plants were growing in vitro, they might do okay. I don't think it's worth the effort, otherwise.

Byblis liniflora is the only species of CP that seems so extremely temperamental when it comes to traveling long distances in the dark. Most other CP seem to perform much better in similar circumstances.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 03-10-2015 at 02:26 AM.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been holding off on sowing my Byblis seed since I need to move my collection back to California (from Tennessee, nonetheless) and don't want to risk killing off all of them. I'm really surprised that every single plant you had shipped died - were they just dead on arrival, or did they die from shock/root trauma afterward?
    "Potential has a shelf life." -Margaret Atwood
    My meager growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dead on arrival. It was about a half dozen small, but live plants. They had rotted away to nearly nothing. I had to examine their pot with a magnifying glass, to even discern their remains. In the same shipment were several Drosera and Sarracenia seedlings. The only plants that were damaged, at all, were the Byblis.

The Byblis plants were in their own pot, and they were packaged so as to be nearly undisturbed, physically. I'm sure it was a combination of lack of light and perhaps temperature fluctuations that predisposed the small plants to damping-off. I couldn't be sure, because of the state of their remains, but they looked like they may have been two or three inches high, when still alive.

If I remember correctly, in that shipment were also some Drosophyllum lusitanicum seed, because W.I.P. was concerned that live plants of that species would fare even worse than the Byblis in shipping, and they were not even going to try. I believe they (Bob Hanrahan), had already sufficient experience, and anticipated that outcome.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 03-10-2015 at 08:42 AM.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All Byblis tend to be finicky about any sort of root disturbance, so that is probably the cause of why they died off. Drosophyllum suffers the same thing, and there's only one place I know that successfully pulls off shipping them live. Some of the annual Drosera in the indica complex are also similarly a pain in shipping.
    Growlist

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast