Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rainbows in the Midwest

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rainbows in the Midwest

I never did start an official thread for Byblis here, so I decided it was time to do so. I have 3 species now growing for me.
    B. liniflora has always been steady for me. I have to resow seeds every 8-12 months or so, but I always have a good half dozen or more in the pot
    B. liniflora by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
    B. rorida Lake Campion is one of the two new species. It was the last to sprout, but bigger than the other species now and growing fast
    B. rorida Lake Campion by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
    B. guehoi Kimberley sprouted sooner, but has been slower in getting going. Now at least 4 seedlings have taken off and are doing well
    B. guehoi Kimberleys by hawken.carlton, on Flickr

It will be great to finally have multiple species growing at the same time to compare them, and if I'm lucky I can see if I can cross them and see what happens.
    ~hcarlton
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

carnivorous plants of the world -- unite! DragonsEye's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lovely, Carlton! Had several of these pop up amongst some Utrics I received in trade. Lost most of them, unfortunately. Keep having issues with the branches withering away.
    "Blessed are the cracked….
    For they are the ones who let in the light."

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Couple more shots of the new species. They are turning out to be very fast growers, at least on par with if not faster than liniflora
    The largest B. rorida Lake Campion is reaching 3" high now, and there are some new sprouts in the pot
    B. rorida Lake Campion by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
    B. guehoi Kimberleys are still behind, but catching up
    B. guehoi Kimberleys by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very cool. It is nice to see the progress of the different species. I think that people who have never seen Byblis in the flesh may not always see the appeal but once you have you realize that these plants have big charisma. They are much less sundew-like than they appear from photos, though just why is hard to put your finger on.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting and pretty, I got seeds of the rorida and guehoi too, I need to plant them already. What soil mix did you use and did you pre-treat the seeds to help in germination, Thanks!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bluemax: yeah, they're nothing like sundews, and you're also right in that you can't tell very well until you grow them. save for the flowers, which are wholly unique...

sflynn: all Byblis seeds need (or in the case of liniflora do better) with some sort of pre-treatment to sprout. B. liniflora you can soak in water for 20-40 min to get the inhibitor out, for the others I use a 10% bleach solution until the seed coats JUST start to turn grey. Don't wait any longer or you'll dissolve the embryo too. For soil, I use a mix of near-equal parts of sphagnum, peat moss and perlite (sand works too). Nothing else have I been able to keep Byblis alive on. You might have seen posts by Cindy in Singapore, her soil mixes are similar.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One very large B. liniflora
    And it's flowering, soon to be followed by at least 2-3 others

The B. rorida are still growing upward, but the leaves aren't getting any longer.... I attribute it currently to cool temperatures.
    Meanwhile, the B. guehoi are gaining size rapidly....
    B. guehoi by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    they dont look like rainbows

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast