Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Drosera regia help

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow two different clones labeled Clone "C" and Clone R1. The origins of the labels appears to be unknown but seem to have come out of the Atlanta Botanical Gardens. Clone "C" I obtained bare root recently deflasked from tissue culture. I potted this in a mix of coarse sand, chopped long fibre sphagnum and peat moss. A year later I obtained the R1 clone, potted in a mix of perlite and peat moss. At that time both clones were about the same size with 3-4 inch leaves. Both were growing side by side on a windowsill. Clone R1 showed better growth. Since both had outgrown the pots I repotted both into larger pots both in mixtures of perlite and peat moss. Growth rates were then about equal, even though clone C remained behind. After 4-5 years under these conditions for clone C (3-4 for R1) clone C starting showing a noticeable decline. It would die down to the winter bud as such that this species forms even though neither of the clones had do so previously. They would just produce leaves 25-50% smaller during the winter. Repotting seemed to help but only briefly, leaves only reached 1-2 inch size range. Finally it just slipped in the shrunken phase two springs ago and stayed that way. And R1 was starting to show a similar decline. Since I figured the plant wanted dormancy I would give dormancy and put it outdoors in the fall. The following spring much to my relief clone C resumed growth with the leaves reaching the 4-5 inch range by summers end. I moved R1 outdoors at the end of spring and in a short time started to show an improvement in growth too. At present clone C has leaves in the 6-8 inch range and R1 8-10 inch. It was in the 5-6 inch range at the beginning of summer. Clone C is now going through its second winter outdoors, R1 its first. With luck one or the other will flower for the first time next spring.

Cuttings I took 2 years ago were grown under lights in pure live Sphagnum moss. They were kept with high levels of water in non-draining tubs to keep the Sphagnum live. I repotted those at the beginning of summer with leaves in the 2-4 inch range. Some of the plants had 8 inch long roots. These were repotted into perlite and peat moss. The plant I kept is now in the 6-8 inch range, the others being sold or given away. I won't dispute this species can grow in standing water. My experience suggest they grow better in drier conditions. That you find otherwise doesn't surprise me at all since much of it depends on your local conditions.

A change in conditions can make a difference. There are such things as climates and micro-climates. What works in the South of England may not work in the North of England. Or in Southern California. Or South Africa. A change in cultural practices can make a difference too. What works for one grower may not work for another living just next-door. A grower I know laments the plants that he can no longer grow after moving from Southern California to southern Oregon, but rejoices in the plants that he can now grow.

If something isn't working, try something different. What was it that Albert Einstein is quoted as saying?: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    If something isn't working, try something different.
    Precisely. Now please tell me what were the conditions that you were trying to change? They're not specified,apart from the temperature.

You stated your preferred growing conditions, I stated mine, which are different to yours. It's up to the grower to decide which to go with. He's in South Africa which is neither Los Angeles nor the Midlands.
    Fred

Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

http://fredg.boards.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I have re-potted my D. regia. It had roots coming out of the bottom of the old pot.
    I have also taken some root cuttings which I have placed placed into a sand/peat mix in my grow tank.

I am growing my plant outdoor, Not in direct sunlight though but I always fear that it does not get enough sunlight.
    I am busy building a grow rack which will receive about 5-6 hours of morning sun but not sure if I will move the D. regia there when it's done.

Here are some photos of the roots and end result.

Root cutting

End result, The pot is Glazed on the inside. Did not have enough moss to cover the whole pot. Got the D. regia in a Sand and peat mix.

Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 12-15-2014 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Nomenclature

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you take any photos of the cut ends of the roots?
    Fred

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This prompted me to take a couple of root cuttings. Your roots should be white inside if healthy,the one in your pic doesn't look the best,bit shrivelled isn't it? see the white inside and white growing tip(turned brownish within an hour)
    Last edited by corky; 12-14-2014 at 11:00 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Roots look good and healthy to me. Could be slightly thicker, but overall they appear in good condition. At the very least, I can say they don't look like roots that are rotting.

The dieback of the plant is still quite strange, though. Do you supplement it with fertilizer? Does it get a decent amount of prey?
    Last edited by theplantman; 12-14-2014 at 01:27 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I don't use any fertilizer on my D. regia but it does catch a lot of bugs outside and I give it crushed bloodworm's mixed with RO water that I drop onto the leaves once a week or so.

@fredg, the 3rd photo is a piece that I cut off from the root system. You can see the white in the middle.

Guess all I can do now is wait and see if the plant recovers and hope my root cuttings produce new plants as well.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 12-15-2014 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Nomenclature

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see that now you explain it Brolloks. That looks encouraging. The centre of the crown also looks quite healthy.
    Last edited by fredg; 12-14-2014 at 02:39 PM.
    Fred

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast