Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Drosera regia help

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a plant (actually 2) from Not A Number, several months ago. I put it outside for the summer, into the fall, until we had an overnight frost. Like everything else (D. binata and pygmy sundews), it reacted. I had to bring them all inside, to the grow rack. Surprisingly, the D. regia recovered and is doing pretty well. D. binata almost always do the Phoenix thing. Pygmy sundews still look like death warmed over.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 12-15-2014 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Nomenclature

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim, a frost is nothing to D. regia. Mine were subject to 0C a few years back. By then of course they were dormant.

This is D. regia sitting in ice and starting to shoot on January 18th 2013. Unheated (very cold) greenhouse.

Fred

Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

http://fredg.boards.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like D. regia is a very cold hardy plant
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 12-16-2014 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Nomenclature

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the lowest they get in-situ?

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg View Post
    I see that now you explain it Brolloks. That looks encouraging. The centre of the crown also looks quite healthy.
    Quote Originally Posted by theplantman View Post
    Roots look good and healthy to me. Could be slightly thicker, but overall they appear in good condition. At the very least, I can say they don't look like roots that are rotting.
    I agree. The healthiest roots will have rounded tips. If they are actively growing the tips will be white (see corky's photo above) but as long as the roots are not brittle and white inside they are healthy

Quote Originally Posted by fredg View Post
    Jim, a frost is nothing to D. regia. Mine were subject to 0C a few years back. By then of course they were dormant.

This is D. regia sitting in ice and starting to shoot on January 18th 2013. Unheated (very cold) greenhouse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brolloks View Post
    Sounds like D. regia is a very cold hardy plant
    Like D. capensis they can survive frosts. The thick long roots probably are adapted for periodic brush fires. This works both ways and helps the plants to survive frosts. The area D. regia grows in is fire managed and there has been no brush fires in many years. A report on a visit to the sites a few years ago mentioned that D. regia in some sites was struggling against the competing flora because of this.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    I agree. The healthiest roots will have rounded tips. If they are actively growing the tips will be white (see corky's photo above) but as long as the roots are not brittle and white inside they are healthy

Like D. capensis they can survive frosts. The thick long roots probably are adapted for periodic brush fires. This works both ways and helps the plants to survive frosts. The area D. regia grows in is fire managed and there has been no brush fires in many years. A report on a visit to the sites a few years ago mentioned that D. regia in some sites was struggling against the competing flora because of this.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there only a handful (I remember hearing only 2!) sites for D. regia left? Is there any effort at all toward ex-situ conservation, reintroduction, or even increased management of the remaining habitat

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I apologise for my error in my previous post. The D. regia were in fact subject to 0F (-18c)
    Fred

Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

http://fredg.boards.net/

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast