What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera regia help

What's the lowest they get in-situ?

I see that now you explain it Brolloks. That looks encouraging. The centre of the crown also looks quite healthy.

Roots look good and healthy to me. Could be slightly thicker, but overall they appear in good condition. At the very least, I can say they don't look like roots that are rotting.

I agree. The healthiest roots will have rounded tips. If they are actively growing the tips will be white (see corky's photo above) but as long as the roots are not brittle and white inside they are healthy

Jim, a frost is nothing to D. regia. Mine were subject to 0C a few years back. By then of course they were dormant.

This is D. regia sitting in ice and starting to shoot on January 18th 2013. Unheated (very cold) greenhouse.

Sounds like D. regia is a very cold hardy plant

Like D. capensis they can survive frosts. The thick long roots probably are adapted for periodic brush fires. This works both ways and helps the plants to survive frosts. The area D. regia grows in is fire managed and there has been no brush fires in many years. A report on a visit to the sites a few years ago mentioned that D. regia in some sites was struggling against the competing flora because of this.

I agree. The healthiest roots will have rounded tips. If they are actively growing the tips will be white (see corky's photo above) but as long as the roots are not brittle and white inside they are healthy

Like D. capensis they can survive frosts. The thick long roots probably are adapted for periodic brush fires. This works both ways and helps the plants to survive frosts. The area D. regia grows in is fire managed and there has been no brush fires in many years. A report on a visit to the sites a few years ago mentioned that D. regia in some sites was struggling against the competing flora because of this.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there only a handful (I remember hearing only 2!) sites for D. regia left? Is there any effort at all toward ex-situ conservation, reintroduction, or even increased management of the remaining habitat???

I apologise for my error in my previous post. The D. regia were in fact subject to 0F (-18c)

Hi Everyone. Just an update on my D. regia.

The plant I re-potted in the terracotta pot has not produced any new leaves yet but the root cuttings I took has started to grow!
So happy that the root cuttings pulled through.

IMG_20150116_192858502.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to see! By the way you might want to try some slow release fertilizer as the plants progress and need a little kick, just a thought... :)

Good to see! By the way you might want to try some slow release fertilizer as the plants progress and need a little kick, just a thought... :)

Will give it a try! thanks.

Just an update on the root cuttings progress:

Really growing well!
Untitled.jpg

Back