Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Drosera regia help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drosera regia help

Hi Everyone

I have had D. regia for a few month now, got it during the winter months and its been growing quite well. It's now summer and my D. regia has really been suffering.
    I know D. regia enjoys colder climates, but how cold? It's been around 80 - 86 F and I have had my plant under shade netting.

The new leaves have become a lot smaller than what the plant originally produced. They where around 8+inches. Some of the leaves have actually died before even developing

I really don't want to lose this plant. Could this be due to heat stress?

Photos attached:

Advise much appreciated!
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 12-14-2014 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Nomenclature

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where I live temperatures are often in the 90s or even 100s during the day. I used to grow my regia on a windowsill in a 4-inch plastic pot but it had problems similar to yours (the newest leaf looked really tattered), so I moved it to a setup I use for Darlingtonia in my backyard. I put in into a 2-foot terracotta pot and it quickly perked up.

I've heard from other growers that it is the root temperature and not the air temperature that really matters, so based on that it makes sense that moving the plant to a larger pot would solve the problem. I'm not sure if a large plastic pot would work also. You could also try watering it with refrigerated water.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D. regia also prefers a bit more drainage than other dews. I don't grow mine on the tray system. It handled a very hot summer just fine here in GA. When it gets larger I also plan to use a large terracotta pot (like Tanukimo said).

In some cases, D. regia will enter a dormancy period and die down to a resting bud. However, pretty sure that occurs only in winter.

If that were my plant I would unpot it and check the roots lickety-split. Looks like you're battling root rot. I know most folks hate disturbing their plants, but honestly as long as you're careful and take your time, there's absolutely nothing to be afraid of.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 12-14-2014 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Nomenclature

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find this species seems to like stable root temperatures and plenty of root aeration. I use large pots - 1 gallon nursery stock pots (6.25 7 inches) and a mix of 60-75% perlite or lava rock to peat moss. I top water them daily. I rarely have standing water in the tray unless it is very hot and dry. A nightly temperature drop may help. For the long term growth of the plant they need cool-chilly winters.

I've tried various mixes but perlite and peat moss works best for me. You'll have to experiment a little to see what works best, but I recommend keeping it airy. I use pure live Sphagnum for my cuttings.

I would use a larger pot. If you are worried about root disturbance remove the media as intact as possible from the old pot. And just replant the old media plant and all into the new.

Repotting always gives you the opportunity to take root cuttings.

The shade cloth should help. You could try shading the pot from direct sunlight. Surrounding it with other pots usually works.
    Last edited by Not a Number; 12-13-2014 at 09:14 AM.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the feed back.

Am I correct when assuming that the terracotta pot is glazed to prevent minerals from entering the media? And I am guessing terracotta pots stay cooler?

About the watering of D. regia, it almost sound like it needs similar watering as Nepenthes do or more frequent as I don't water my Nepenthes everyday.

I will re-pot my D. regia and have a look at the root system and maybe take some root cuttings as well. Will also not leave it standing in a tray full of water any more and only top water it.
    Will try and find some images of root rot on google to see if my plant might have it.

If my plant does have root rot, is there anything special I should do other than re-potting it into a very airy mix and only top watering?

Thanks again everyone.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 12-14-2014 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Nomenclature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From the appearance of your plant's media surface, it seems that the media may have accumulated minerals until they reached a toxic level, for the roots, that is.

When was the last time you leached the media? Leaching is where you repeatedly flood the pot with very pure water, then drain it away, until the soluble mineral level in the media is greatly reduced. It seems like a good leaching is now quite overdue.

When you unpot the plant, I'll guess that many of the roots will be soft and rotting. I would recommend to carefully cut away any rotten roots, being careful not to spread the infection. It is not always easy to save plants if the rot is too advanced. However, as has been mentioned, finding pieces of firm root, with healthy white interiors, can usually be used to start plantlets, and thereby save your ailing plant.

I grew all of mine at daytime temperatures well over 100F, most days. I kept growing and propagating them for more than five years, in these conditions. The only problem the high temperatures created, was a lack of any dormancy, or flowering.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 12-14-2014 at 01:10 AM.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine have stood in 2" of water throughout the growing season (8-9 months annually) for 26 years without root problems. So no, from my experience they don't require a watering regime like Nepenthes. The medium varies from Peat / sand / gravel to Peat / perlite to live Sphagnum In other words, whatever I have to hand at the time. Pots are plastic.
    It's not a fussy plant in the least and very tough.
    Fred

Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

http://fredg.boards.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was waiting for you to have your say Fred, and I agree , I too grow my D. regia (only for a few years) in constant water in growing season and find them to be easy growers, touchwood. If you do repot the plant I think you should definitely take some root cuttings,from my few years experience they have a very high success rate and you could then experiment with different media and watering methods with more plants
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 12-15-2014 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Nomenclature

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast