Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New to the scene

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Manual removal really...
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can post some pictures of some things I think are really interesting.

Compared to previous photos, my plant is quite a bit larger

See in the middle of the plant, that weird brown stalk-like structure? I'm not sure if it's a root or what, but it's creeping me out. Also you can see in the second picture one of the (mosses) growing in my terrarium. It looks like little amorphous green globules and I'm not entirely sure what it is, but I think it looks pretty darn cool. It started growing underneath the plant so I'm guessing it was already there when I bought the plant, just dormant because of less-than-ideal conditions.

Here, again, you can clearly see the brown root-ish things coming from my plant, and again the green stuff growing on the substrate.

By the way, the tiny one didn't make it through the trip from Central Washington to East Idaho. It froze, poor thing. Perhaps I can get seeds from the flowers my other plant has put up
    Last edited by Trout; 02-16-2015 at 11:19 AM. Reason: More info

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, that is an adventitious aerial root, Drosera capensis is well known for them, especially in conditions where its stem becomes elongated vertically. They will often reach the soil, where they help to anchor the plant as they grow into the media.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Joseph! It's good to finally know the function of that growth. Still not sure about the weird green growth on the substrate, though.

Anyhow, I had a thought. On the right side of the plant, where the sun shines through my window, the leaves are curled and not very happy looking, with less dew and less pink in the tentacles, but on the left side which gets more light from my screw-in LED (The designers of this fish-tank were not very smart as far as lighting engineering went, as the light is all on one side) the leaves are straight, the tentacles more colorful and there is more dew. I really want to get some seeds or seedlings to plant directly under my light and see what happens then, but I'm not sure where to get them. I just know I don't want another D. capensis because I prefer plants with more spoon or paddle-shaped leaves.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 02-17-2015 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Nomenclature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The growth looks like you just have algae growing over pieces of vermiculite and peat, giving them the round shape.
    "Potential has a shelf life." -Margaret Atwood
    My meager growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, just want to add my 2cents with growing some of the South African species(And other) outdoors in.. South Africa
    I have got D. capensis(red, 'Albino', and typical) growing outside along with various D. binata, D. burmannii, Sarracenia, D. venusta, D. aliciae, D. admirabilis, some pygmaea's, VFT's, D. spatulata(2 forms), D. filiformis, Mexican Pinguicula, and D. regia.

These plants get around 5 hours of direct morning sunlight and shade in the afternoon. The area I stay in gets quite hot from time to time and we actually had a heatwave that started last week. Temps have shot up to around 95F to 98.6 (37C)
    And Most of the plants in the list have been growing well during the heatwave except for D. venusta, D. aliciae, and D. admirabilis (D. regia was unaffected because I have it in a large glazed terracotta pot and top water it with refrigerated RO water) The new leafs on my D. aliciae were getting smaller and smaller, and my D. admirabilis was even worse off. D. venusta seems to handle it a bit better but I can see they have a lot less dew and some of the leaves look very dried out compared to when the temps were lower.
    The rest of the plants on the list like I said are unaffected by the temps, and have bucket loads of dew and are growing like normal.

Hope this helps a bit.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 02-17-2015 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Nomenclature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My terrarium is relatively stable, with the temperature usually standing between 70 and 75 degrees. Rarely it gets up to 80, so I don't think there's gonna be a problem with temps getting too high, though I may have to move it further away from the window during the summer. I rent an apartment so I can't really plant stuff outside.

I did end up finding some plants. Decided not to wait for seeds to become available, and I'm excited. I'll post pictures once I get them planted. I got a D. "floating" admirabilis and a red-dragon VFT. I figure the red dragon will help me determine just how good my LED bulb really is.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123