What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to the scene

The growth looks like you just have algae growing over pieces of vermiculite and peat, giving them the round shape.

Hi, just want to add my 2cents with growing some of the South African species(And other) outdoors in.. South Africa :-))
I have got D. capensis(red, 'Albino', and typical) growing outside along with various D. binata, D. burmannii, Sarracenia, D. venusta, D. aliciae, D. admirabilis, some pygmaea's, VFT's, D. spatulata(2 forms), D. filiformis, Mexican Pinguicula, and D. regia.

These plants get around 5 hours of direct morning sunlight and shade in the afternoon. The area I stay in gets quite hot from time to time and we actually had a heatwave that started last week. Temps have shot up to around 95F to 98.6 (37C) :scratch:
And Most of the plants in the list have been growing well during the heatwave except for D. venusta, D. aliciae, and D. admirabilis (D. regia was unaffected because I have it in a large glazed terracotta pot and top water it with refrigerated RO water) The new leafs on my D. aliciae were getting smaller and smaller, and my D. admirabilis was even worse off. D. venusta seems to handle it a bit better but I can see they have a lot less dew and some of the leaves look very dried out compared to when the temps were lower.
The rest of the plants on the list like I said are unaffected by the temps, and have bucket loads of dew and are growing like normal.

Hope this helps a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
My terrarium is relatively stable, with the temperature usually standing between 70 and 75 degrees. Rarely it gets up to 80, so I don't think there's gonna be a problem with temps getting too high, though I may have to move it further away from the window during the summer. I rent an apartment so I can't really plant stuff outside.

I did end up finding some plants. Decided not to wait for seeds to become available, and I'm excited. I'll post pictures once I get them planted. I got a D. "floating" admirabilis and a red-dragon VFT. I figure the red dragon will help me determine just how good my LED bulb really is.

Back