Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to the scene

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to the scene

I am brand new to the Drosera-growing scene, and have started out with a tiny little terrarium, which I'm currently rather proud of. At the moment, I'm sure I don't have enough light for my plants, but I'll be getting a better bulb on Tuesday. The old bulb I've had them under for the past day and a half does not have a light color rating listed in Kelvin, but it does say "warm-white" which I believe was in the area of 3000k-3500k.

I honestly don't know what sort of sundews I've got, but I believe they're D. capensis. They're growing in a mix of 2:1 peat:vermiculite, since I couldn't find any non-miracle gro perlite at the store I went to, and that mix is on top of about an inch and a half of aquarium gravel.

Will it cause undue stress for the inside of the terrarium to briefly reach 105 degrees F? I try to keep it between 70 and 90 degrees but today, the sun had other plans.

Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 02-16-2015 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Nomenclature - genus names are always capitalized

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to our hobby/addiction! Got a decent little setup going there, it will be full of life in no time.

And yes that's quite hot...I would keep it away from the sun if that's the case.
    Last edited by tje25; 12-28-2014 at 01:15 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm really looking to put in another couple plants. Probably D. aliciae if I can find them, but only after I've finished tinkering with my environment and made sure they'll survive in there. D. aliciae is also a South African sundew, correct? It'll thrive in a similar environment to D. capensis? Actually, I've looked around and have not been able to find anywhere a definitive list of CPs that'll grow well with D. capensis. Does anybody here have such a list? I'd like to take a peek at it.

Apart from that, does anybody know where I can find some good sphagnum to put on top of my substrate?
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 02-16-2015 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Nomenclature - genus names are always capitalized, species epithets are always lower case

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a bunch of D. aliciae and it grows right along with my D. capensis. Next time I get seeds ill send you some, ill also probably be doing a giveaway here soon so keep an eye out
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 02-16-2015 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Nomenclature - plant names are binomial (two names), genus and species epithet

The sticky ones are my favorite. Tacks's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Trout! Welcome to sundew cultivation. Congrats on your Drosera capensis. A few things to keep in mind while you're developing your collection:

The most important thing for a healthy sundew is light. Lots and lots of light. Unspeakable amounts of light. And in fact, the humidity needs for the most common species are not very high, and they can handle a fairly wide range of temperatures if they're given enough light. There's a page on Grow Sundews about light, and I covered the topic in two posts on my sundew blog.

In terms of what species grow well with D. capensis, I can definitely recommend Drosera aliciae, Drosera madagascariensis, Drosera tokaiensis, Drosera intermedia 'Cuba', Drosera burmannii, Drosera ultramafica x spatulata, and most pygmy sundews as liking conditions similar to those appropriate for Drosera capensis.

In terms of temperatures I try to keep my growspaces under 90 F. Most species you'll be cultivating at first will not like temperatures too much higher than that. Again though, high light conditions will make your sundews less susceptible to other forms of stress.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's somewhat pointless to find a list of "things that grow well with capensis" since the reverse is more applicable: what capensis will grow with, and the answer is almost anything. I have a few plants that live with my Sarracenia, experiencing <10% humidity and 100F+ temperatures in summer, and then frosts and low light in winter. You really don't need a terrarium for these species, setting them on a windowsill where the sun gets to them or on a shelf you can hang the lights from will work all the better really.
    Mind you, it's best not to push the temps, keeping them under 90F is definitely recommended.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course I would love to grow some plants out-doors, but I spend my time between my home in Eastern Washington and my apartment in Rexburg, ID where I go to school. I built this terrarium so I could bring my plants with me wherever I went, and not have to worry about someone else messing up their care. While I'm semi-mobile, an enclosed and portable environment is, I believe, the best solution. Since I already had this little aquarium on-hand, and since pet animals are banned in my apartment, I figured I might as well do something with it.

Here's a quick update, though! It would seem that my plants are doing better every day I have them under the fluorescent lamp I found in our attic. Can't wait til I get the new bulb for the terrarium hood, though.
    Last edited by Trout; 12-28-2014 at 02:49 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's another update! Today, as I was feeding, I accidentally touched one of the leaves with my tweezer, and the leaf moved as I pulled them away, which means the dew is actually becoming sticky. A big improvement from how they were when I put them in the tank. Before today, nothing stuck, and my fruit flies were walking around on top of the leaves and tentacles with ease. After today, I think they'll find they get tangled up a lot more readily when they try to walk on these leaves.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast