User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: how to get positive sessillifolia ID?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That first image you posted certainly looks like sessilifolia. The third pic, certainly the green plants on the right are burmannii, the darker red ones in the middle are harder to tell, but I would guess burmannii, or possibly hybrids.
    It would help if the plants I received as seeds of the true sessilifolia would get growing already, so I could compare them myself....and I got them directly from the ICPS seedbank manager, so I would trust he knows what he's got after growing them for years....
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    The same more or less has happened with D. ultramafica and the D. ultramafica spatulata hybrid.
    An interesting history and one which explains a few things. So Ivan Snyder also did the cross that produced the D. ultramafica x spatulata hybrid? I'm a big fan of that one.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the help guys
    I suppose I will leave it labeled sessilifolia until someone tells me there are no white flowered sess's

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemax View Post
    An interesting history and one which explains a few things. So Ivan Snyder also did the cross that produced the D. ultramafica x spatulata hybrid? I'm a big fan of that one.
    No, that was from Siggi Hartmeyer and it may not have been an intentional cross. Regardless, it seems the hybrid seeds had gotten distributed from various seedbanks as D. ultramafica.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hcarlton View Post
    ....and I got them directly from the ICPS seedbank manager, so I would trust he knows what he's got after growing them for years....
    If you already asked him & he told you the ID with confidence, I'd agree. However, John isn't able to grow out all seeds that he receives. Like most seedbanks, he relies on the people sending him seeds to label them accurately. ... and as already mentioned, even some of the most trustworthy people (ie: Siggi) can make mistakes - or unintended things can happen (ie: insects in a greenhouse make an unintended cross).

With two species like D. burmannii & D. sessilifolia that are very similar and many generations of assorted unlabeled/incorrectly-identified hybrid combinations in circulation, it may not even be possible to ID a specific plant with 100% certainty. Have you gotten both official descriptions & tried to definitively go through the attributes? It's often more difficult than trying to compare one trait that is readily visible.
    Last edited by RL7836; 12-31-2014 at 05:43 PM.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not to muddy the water anymore but this is sessilifolia

same plants just grown under better lighting. And source of the seed banks seeds

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is my understanding the John B himself is the source of the D. sessilfolia seeds in the seedbank (i.e. plants from his collection).
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sent him the seed to grow to compare with burmanii being grown in same conditions. Then photographed for:
    http://www.carnivorousplants.org/how..._burmannii.php

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast