What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how to get positive sessillifolia ID?

• Thread starter Ras
  • Start date
Vahl's Description of D. burmanni (as published)

Burmanni DROSERA scapis radicatis calycibusque glabris, foliis spathulatis feffilibus.
Ros solis Zeylanica, foliis rotundis in orbem expanfis villofis. Herm. muf. Zely. 18.
Ros folis foliis circa radicem in orbem dispofitis. Burm.Zeyl.p207.t94.fig.2.
Drosera rotundifolia. Lin. fl Zeylan. 120.
Habitat in Zeylona>
A Drosera rotundifolia distingui meretur. Folia enim subsessilia, basi attenuata, semiunguicularia: ciliis tenuibus aequalibus. A Dros. cuneifolia dignoscitur glabririe scapi & pedicellorum, denique triplo minor.

Vahl notes similarities to D. rotundifolia and again D. cuneifolia and something to do with lack of hairs on the scape and pedicels. Again a good translation of the Latin would help.

Judging color from photographs is not a good standard because there are so many factors that effect how the colors appear. Lighting, time of day, background or surround colors, even the color of the shirt the photographer was wearing (reflected light) can make profound differences.

very true but when its something as different as hot pink and white you can get a gist of it at least, but that said I agree. some colors can also be hard to differ and are sometimes more based on opinion, some shades of pink/purple are pretty much the same color imo.

anyways point being if it has all the signs of a sess + a pink flower it probably is a sess. the white/whitish flowers throw me off though, and it seems most "sessilifolia" in cultivation have white flowers and most if not all pics ive seen of the sess in the wild they are clearly a pink or purple(not white). another thing I noticed is it seems most people have sessilifolia from the same spot, 'chapada dos guimaraes'. if someone could get fernando back in here lol he seems to be a name that keeps coming up as the sessilifolia expert, and I believe I read that he has seen the sessilifolia in chapada dos guimaraes in the wild so maybe he could tell us if they are indeed white flowers

another thing I found on another forum

"Hello Christian,

Very interesting! So the styles in D.burmannii are apparently longer than in D.sessilifolia. I wonder how consistent that is... Has anybody else payed attention to this? Does anybody else have pictures? As far as I can remember from the times I saw D.sessilifolia in the wild, the styles were always short. This might be a good character after all... Tom, don't give up IDing your plant yet! ;) In fact, how does your plant compare to characters 1 & 3 from my list above?

Take care, Fernando Rivadavia "

the bolded part interested me but the thread kinda took a different turn, maybe the styes are another way to tell

I'm starting to think someone just needs to get a good permit, collect new seeds, and restart the process. The amount of confusion surrounding these two species is almost painful....
Definitely the color of those wild flowers are a whole lot darker than anything I've yet seen in cultivation, so everything is now suspect to me once more, thanks, though it begs the question whether or not as well conditions ex situ might be having an effect as well?

I could definitely see that happening, maybe there is more iron in the soil where its from or something, so it gets more vivid colors in its flower at its wild site? idk. again, like hc said it seems the only thing that would fix this problem is to find a reputable source of true sessilifolia which I'm trying to do right now. or get a permit and start the process over and recollect. it seems almost impossible to tell the difference between a sess and a sess hybrid, with the amount of similar variables each one has and lack of info its just a guessing game, and at the end of it you still aren't really sure if you are correct with the ID.

maybe energy should be redirected to sourcing some real sessilifolia, its gotta be out there.

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/howto/GrowingGuides/D_burmannii.php
"Seeds distributed by the Seed Bank as Drosera sessilifolia may actually have been Drosera burmannii or hybrids between D. burmannii and D. sessilifolia. The seed available since 2009 are correct."

anybody know if this is true? id pay gold bricks at this point to get my hands on some true seeds

Last edited:
A couple years ago my first attempt at ICPS seeds landed me my green burmannii. More recently the seeds have been coming from the bank manager however, who as mentioned earlier in this thread is growing plants that supposedly match the proper ID.

The seed available since 2009 are correct." anybody know if this is true?
John has earned credibility in my book. If he makes an unequivocal/strong statement like that, I suspect that it is true.

good enough,
I am sure there could be a site out there where sessilifolia grow wild with white flowers, I would just love to know for sure before I call anything. maybe thats how they grow in chapa dos guimaraes. if anyone has pics of a flower from the icps seed bank sessilifolia that would help. I would love to get to the bottom of this and it seems like the answer lies in the flower

Last edited:
Back