User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: how to get positive sessillifolia ID?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how to get positive sessillifolia ID?

I would love a link to a picture of a known sessillifolia, thats probably my best shot for an ID.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any of Fernando Rivadavia shots taken in-situ Brazil are going to be the real deal.

http://icps.proboards.com/post/39607

From what I've heard Christian Dientz said a quick way to ID D. sessilfolia vs D. burmanii is that D. sessilfolia has red margins on the pads of the snap tentacles where as D. burmanii they are clear. Of course all bets are off if they are hybrids.
    Last edited by Not a Number; 12-30-2014 at 05:43 PM.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    they appear to have pink petals similar but a little less vibrant than a spatulata flower

cpphotofinder has these white flowers labeled .. this was probably just a mis-id?
    http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/1663/ivhq.jpg

they also had this one which looks more like the description at the top of the sessilifolia page on cpphotofinder
    http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/9964/dsc02194qq.jpg

true sessilifolia is probably the pink one correct?

i am trying to get the specifics down because I want to find some TRUE sessilifolia with pink petal flowers that I can experiment with,
    Last edited by Ras; 12-30-2014 at 06:41 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are variants of burmannii that have pink petals. 'Pilliga Red' is a notable one, and I have a pure green form with pink flowers as well. D. sessilifolia tends to in cultivation have shorter, more rounded leaves than burmannii, an overall smaller and more compact growth form as well. Of course this is a very different look from Rivadavia's photos of the wild aquatic plants, mind you... and as mentioned above hybrids take all bets off.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok judge my plants, I need more opinions.

so I am guessing this is most likely sessilifolia? thats what I have had it labeled, the flowers are white with a pink hue most similar to this (this picture is from photofinder, not my plant) .

and these would be burmannis right

assuming thats what u mean by longer leaves than the sessillifolia(long green leaves on far left of pic)

so would you say I have it labeled right or could my sess be a hybrid or, are there sessifolia with whiteish flowers..? whats the deal here.
    Last edited by Ras; 12-30-2014 at 07:25 PM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ras - I grow an all-green form of D. burmannii and the petioles on your first plant are much shorter, if that is any help. You have convinced me that I need to grow D. sessilifolia with that photo.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my limited beginners knowledge I too believe that first pic to be sessilifolia.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking with Ivan Snyder this weekend the subject of his trip to Australia in the 90s came up. He happened to mention the Drosera burmannii "Beerwah" that is so widely spread in collections throughout the world. He said he collected it across the street from the Beerwah National Park. I'm guessing he means either the Glass House Mountain National Park or the Beerwah State Forest. He collected the largest plant he could find which just happened to be green but there were plants of many colors in the same location some the same color as the petals of a pink rose.

It would appear that at least in cultivation that people have been treating these plants as the type or holotype of D. burmannii (at least from Beerwah). It is not as the plant was selected for size. A type or holotype specimen is best selected as an average plant that best represents all the features that define the species.

Ivan later crossed D. sessilifolia with D. burmannii which produced fertile hybrids. These plants and seeds were distributed. Due to the carelessness or laziness of growers these hybrids have been passed around or sold as either D. burmannii or D. sessilifolia. The hybrids may also have been back-crossed with D. burmannii or D. sessilifolia either accidentally or on purpose.

The same more or less has happened with D. ultramafica and the D. ultramafica spatulata hybrid.
    Last edited by Not a Number; 12-31-2014 at 09:35 PM.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast