What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. burmannii (herb)

Is this true?

Drosera burrmannii has been considered a powerful rubefacient in Hindu medicine.[4]
Drosera burmannii is an herb that produces very short stems and leaves in a rosette
4. Lewis, Walter H., 1977 Medical Botany - Plants Affecting Man's Health. John Wiley & Sons, St. Louis, Missouri.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drosera_burmannii

220px-Drosera_burmanni_Humpty_Doo.jpg

PS. Have a look at this: http://nopr.niscair.res.in/bitstream/123456789/5078/1/IJTK%208(3)%20326-333.pdf

Last edited:
wouldn't doubt it. I know people used anglica roots to cure whooping cough
http://www.uofmhealth.org/health-library/hn-2171001
/edit
treat* whooping cough. apparently it relieves irritation, similar to what your link was saying about burmannii and topical relief. the link I posted also says other sundews from aus can be used in substitution of anglica due to them being endangered. burmannii is one sundew i know is from AUS.

Last edited:
Other Drosera species (rotundifolia) have been used to cure coughs and other lung problems for centuries. There's still a homeopathic remedy for dry cough derived from D. rotundifolia. The "medicinal" virtues of the sundew are largely based on the doctrine of signatures, i.e., the idea that plants display signs of their curative properties. In the sundew's case, its mucilage calls to mind the mucus brought up by coughing, so it must be a remedy for coughing. :scratch: Then came the scientific revolution.

There's a little more to it than that. Way back when yes that's where some of these "medicinal" theories came from, but it's long been known many plants have properties of use to the human well-being. Sundews can be used for anti-inflammatory medicines, butterwort leaves have long been used for treating skin sores especially by people in northern Europe who use them on their reindeer herds, and from my own experience Nepenthes fluid (at least from certain plants) can have a local anesthetic and antibiotic effect. Not much research has been done recently however to explore this.

Of course plants can have healing properties, but the claims of folk medicine/herbalism aren't always supported by scientific studies. Even when they are, the effective dosage is unknown. When I have a fever, I'd rather take the appropriate dosage of acetylsalicylic acid than brew a cup of willow tea. :p

Of course plants can have healing properties, but the claims of folk medicine/herbalism aren't always supported by scientific studies. Even when they are, the effective dosage is unknown. When I have a fever, I'd rather take the appropriate dosage of acetylsalicylic acid than brew a cup of willow tea. :p

that's a whole different story. sure "old" medicine is out of date but new medicine has been proven to be very dangerous too. side effects or even damage to the body from long term use. ...seriously ... if you need some ideas for gory horror movie scenes read the back of a pill bottle or listen close to the end of medicine commercials.. its intense ... then you have the organ failure from using certain pills long term or overdosing.

that being said, if I get cut ill chose aloe vera over asprin any day, but if I had like rabies or small pox, or something serious like that I'd take anything you throw at me as long as you have a white coat on.

Last edited:
Well you know when they first invented smallpox vaccine, the religos said it was "against gods will" that people would be saved from diseases...

well, fear and misunderstanding pretty much go hand in hand. regardless of the group. whether it be that certain group of kids in highschool you just didnt like or a type of food you refuse to try, everyone is guilty of something similar you know?
but back on topic I think its cool they are taking a look at old world medicine and finding that a lot of the time it in fact does what people thought it did before they had the tools to scientifically prove it.

I am really into herbal remedies and have myself used some of my Drosera rotudifolia leaves to cure persistent cough and chest congestion I would be eager to cautiously experiment with D. burmannii and see what affects it truly has (I'm plant crazy i know) but truly herbs are something of miracles when it comes to health..... Thankyou for posting this !

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome, I learned something new today. Regarding what hcarlton said earlier about Nepethes, a study in 2010 showed anti fungal property in the secondary metabolites in Nepethes.
The collaborating team has determined plant secondary metabolites that function as anti-fungal agents. "The pitcher of the carnivorous plant produces these compounds in a gland," says Prof. Zilberstein. Until now, no one has published or discussed the anti-fungal metabolites found in the trap liquid of this plant, she says.

Source: http://http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/02/100218150652.htm
Quite interesting, isn't it?

Here are a couple of antique Drosera bottles I've picked up over the years.

where can I get me one of those!

I found these at some of the area flea markets. They're the only 2 I've ever seen at a reasonable price. I found a larger Drosera apothecary jar at Brimfield last year but, they wanted waaayyy too much for it. I have quite a few CP related antiques including prints, pins, a Sarracenia purpurea tea cup and other various trinkets and bobbles.

Last edited:
Back