User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Transplanting Drosera Seedlings?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hello View Post
    I'll suggest you can pull the lsm around the roots. It's a safer way if the roots are deep. Hope this helps
    Cheers
    I gotta know. What is an "lsm"?
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Getting There...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One quick followup, some D. tokaiensis [this name is not valid, an alternative name that is valid for this same plant is, D. 'Kansai'] I separated out are already flowering, and are about an inch in diameter max. Is it safe to let them flower? They look plenty healthy, under humidity dome and 24h lighting.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-29-2015 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Nomenclature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry I wasn't so direct... Lsm is live sphagnum moss. Sorry I thought I would get the spelling wrong
    Cheers
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-29-2015 at 06:35 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fredg,
    I have used needle nosed forceps. It's a hazard for me, my old hands have a little bit of tremor, so I have trouble avoiding putting too much pressure on the tiny seedlings - unintentionally. I often pinch them too hard and cause them damage. So, the dissecting needles are my compromise - at least I can avoid pinching them, when I don't intend to.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-29-2015 at 06:46 PM.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Getting There...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So the seedlings are a few months old now, and the the pots that were way too small to move, but have TONS of seedlings in them, are still only like 2-3 mm in diameter. Is this normal? I can't really feed anything that small, and am concerned they won't continue to grow!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 14 species of sundews and some seem to grow slow then others even it the same species I wouldn't worry about it yet till there bigger. And on the feeding I have killed or stunted the growth off several species be vary careful feeding seedlings I stopes trying to feed them till the about a half inch or biger

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Clemens View Post
    fredg,
    I have used needle nosed forceps. It's a hazard for me, my old hands have a little bit of tremor, so I have trouble avoiding putting too much pressure on the tiny seedlings - unintentionally. I often pinch them too hard and cause them damage. So, the dissecting needles are my compromise - at least I can avoid pinching them, when I don't intend to.
    Joseph, sorry for the delay in replying.
    The reason I use the curved points is so they can be hooked underneath the seedling. If you do happen to press too much there is nothing to damage. The seedling complete with medium around the roots sits above the points.
    Fred

Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

http://fredg.boards.net/

Getting There...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So the tiny seeldings just seem kinda in suspended animation? How can I even tell if they are alive when they are a few millimeters across? Any advice or has anyone else experienced this? Only the Konsai have taken off.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast