User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Transplanting Drosera Seedlings?

Getting There...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Transplanting Drosera Seedlings?

I have a small pot os D. aliciae, among other varieites, I sowed on chopped LFS. They are maybe 4 months old now, with about 3 carnivorous leave each, but only maybe 2-3 mm across. A very small portion of the pots has some fungus growing, but mostly I am just nervous that the plants are being able to develop roots and such.

How/should I transplant them anytime soon? Worried about feeding with ground food at the small of size for fear of mold.

Thanks,
    Kyle
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-23-2015 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Nomenclature - the second part (specific epithet) of a binomial name is never capitalized.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D. aliciae is a plant more concerned with deep roots than a lot of surface space, so if the pot is at least a few inches deep, no reason really to transplant, unless the whole soil is only LFS, since they'll do better in a peat/sand mix. Overall seedling are not an issue to transplant though, so if you need to they can just be taken off the soil and moved, the roots should go along with the main plants. And at really small sizes I don't feed with hard food items, but instead small drops of dilute fertilizer.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hcarlton View Post
    D. aliciae is a plant more concerned with deep roots than a lot of surface space, so if the pot is at least a few inches deep, no reason really to transplant, unless the whole soil is only LFS, since they'll do better in a peat/sand mix. Overall seedling are not an issue to transplant though, so if you need to they can just be taken off the soil and moved, the roots should go along with the main plants. And at really small sizes I don't feed with hard food items, but instead small drops of dilute fertilizer.
    +1

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When transplanting, I just use a spoon and scoop out plant and media, below the surface of the roots, and place 'plug' in a prepared put, with a depression, to accommodate the plug. Then water from above to meld the media.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whenever I'm transplanting small seedlings, especially if they're crowded together, I find it easiest to gently tease them apart with a dissecting needle (a pointed metal probe, mounted on the end of a pencil shaped piece of wood or plastic). The needle is also used to lift each individual seedling and place it in its new home.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always used curved fine point tweezers like these. https://www.tessco.com/products/imag...p?itemID=17734
    They do the same operations as Joseph's points to open up the medium and then with them slightly open hook under the roots and lift plant and medium to the new location.
    Last edited by fredg; 01-24-2015 at 01:25 AM.
    Fred

Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

http://fredg.boards.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    does it make me weird that i shudder and drool with delight at the sight of those awesome tweezers?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll suggest you can pull the lsm around the roots. It's a safer way if the roots are deep. Hope this helps
    Cheers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast