What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

At wits end!

Vbkid

Getting There...
So about a year ago I started a variety of drosera seed on shredded sphagnum. Maybe half germinated any, and only d. tokaiensis survived to appreciable sizes. They were actually doing fantastic for a few months, but are now losing dew and seem to be dying back. I'm just extremely frustrated. That were germinated and grown about a foot under a t5ho fixture, tray method with a humidity dome, distilled water only, in a sand peat mixture. Can anyone give me any advice on how I might improve my conditions or their chances? Sorry for the lack of pictures, both my camera and phone don't work currently.

Happy growing,
Kyle

My first thought would be is that you don't need the humidity dome. Temperatures may be getting a bit high for them, especially with T5 lights.

I agree that it sounds like it could be too much heat buildup. How many T5 tubes are there? One should be fine at 12" away. Four could be excessive in both heat and light intensity. When the plants die what is the manner of their death? Do they slowly lose the older leaves first? Do they turn yellow, either partially or completely? With low-growing Drosera such as D. x tokaiensis I also agree that a humidity dome doesn't sound necessary, though it might be good for germinating seed. I am also wondering about the amount of water the plants are getting.

4 bulbs :(
And they have been losign their dew, growth slowing, older leaves browning.
If I'm using a 4 bulb fixture...how far below the lights can I put my plants? It also sounds like I might be able to use a bigger shelf if they are putting out ample light. I have all my other plants under similar conditions, but without domes. Are neps directly under a t5ho 4 bulb unit too much heat/light?

Never even considered this was a problem...thank you for the input!

Are you feeding the seedlings? if so what are you feeding them?

I am not, mainly out of mold fears.

'Sorry for taking awhile to give an answer. If the plant is acclimated to very bright light 12" should be fine. If it is not it might be extremely stressed. Most sundews can take a lot of light but not when freshly moved from dim growing environments. I think Not a Number's suggestion sounds most likely, assuming the plants are getting enough water.

Back