What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

my d.regia

A couple of pics of my d.regia, this is the first time I have managed to get a flower stalk on one, and the plant is about 18 months old from a root cutting . It was left all winter indoors on a southerly facing windowsill 30cm leaves and this is the mother plant I left outside except for the coldest few weeks of winter , then it was placed in an unheated garage for some protection , its just starting to grow back from its roots sorry not the best pics , using my phone

That's one big 'dew! I have to admit that I like the look of the big, long leaves sprouting out from the soil top. Did you have two crowns when it went dormant?

What are you using as your growing medium for the first plant?

Growing back from the roots corky? Did you kill off the winter crown buds?

Fred ,its growing back from its dormant winter buds not back from the roots , last year I killed off the winter buds but not this year (sorry I phrased that wrong).Bluemax it actually had four growth points but one died off at some point over winter , the third is behind another.Medium is peat and perlite , one top dressed with granite chips and the other top dressed with moss

Last edited:
Your mother plant is quite a bit behind mine corky. Mine were out in the cold greenhouse all winter, as always.

Thats ridiculous dude. behemoth dew

Fred I am doing my best to coax you into posting pics, I don't have a greenhouse just cheapo plastic propagator and I leave it open otherwise I get mold problems. I think Freds plants will be a real behemoth but thanks nemjones

Last edited:
Is that a dog or a cat?

Hehe "it's a dog Jim but not as we know it ", don't scale him off the ruler use the football

Last edited:
As you asked nicely corky :p this is how some of the plants are as of 5 mins ago. The longer leaves are only about 12" so they have a bit of growing to do yet.

16759142284_930934cea2_o.jpg

Lovely Fred , please show some more pics when they are in full swing. As you have said my outdoor plant is well behind ony about 2" leaves at the moment . The indoor plant never died back , just slowed down over winter. What time of year do yours normally flower. Also do you think because the indoor plant is flowering its a sustainable way to keep it indoors and slowing down rather than going into dormant buds. Thanks for the pics , ooh one more , how large have you managed to get one to grow

To be honest corky, you're asking me questions I can't really be too accurate with. The plants are so easy they look after themselves so I don't give them a great deal of attention, I just top up the water trays as necessary. I have had leaves well in excess of 12" but not bothered to take a tape in. I'm much more interested in a healthy looking plant. They've been with me for 27 years and always in the same place, They'll need to start waving to get more attention
You need to keep nudging me as this year progresses and we'll get your answers then.
With the plant kept in growth I can't help with that question as I've always allowed my plants to go dormant when it suited them and not forced them to keep growing over winter at all.

Last edited:
Cheers , and expect a future nudge. I will keep one growing on my windowsill and see how life pans out for it and also keep the outside plant of course. I kept one inside incase my little propagator blew away or some other natural disaster

Last edited:
Quite the amazing collection, Fred! I'll be looking forward to more pics and info as well.

Hehe "it's a dog Jim but not as we know it ", don't scale him off the ruler use the football

:-))

A couple of update pics , the plant kept growing indoors over winter has opened its first flower and the larger plant kept outside that went dormant has multiple flower stalks on the way but still very behind if you check in Fred it would be great if you had time to share some pics of your plants looking at the flower 3 hours later and the pollen on the top left anther seems to of gone fluffy , with wishful thinking I pollinated it

Last edited:
Very nice, corky! How big across is the flower?

Thanks Mark, about an inch

The lines on the flower make it look really cool. Congratulations!

Your wish is my command corky.

The main bulk of the plants are well behind the one you kept in the house. The attempted escape one is in a sunnier position so more advanced.

Back