What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. stolonifera flowering or fake?

In December I purchased 30 or so seeds from Australia of D. stolonifera, and was able to germinate 3 plants. Through PM's to different members I tried to find out how long it usually took for the plants to begin their upright growth, or if this would not occur until a few years of growth. With weekly diluted fertilizer, the grew quickly and to my surprise they are now sending up flower stalks. In my mind this raises a few flags as to whether or not they are actually D. stolonifera. Can any of you who have had experience with tuberous sundews tell me if this flowering is possible after 6 months of growth, or if I just got duped? Thanks for the help.
17389842042_3bd4f3d20e_z.jpg

17184378797_dd48df9ab2_z.jpg

17204016528_e547f5e347_z.jpg

Last edited:
You have been duped indeed, sir. Those are definitely not D.stolonifera, they look more like D.spatulata.

Last edited:
Stinks that you got screwed over. Hopefully you didn't spend much. Doubt it would do you much good to contact the seller.

Get pictures of the flowers. Opened and old ones that have closed. It looks like D. spatulata but those typically don't have upright leaves like that. Drosera 'Tamlin' will have upright growth towards the center but it fans out to lie flat similar to Drosera venusta. Still, it could be the moss crowding the leaves - this happens to D. rotundifolia when grown in live Sphagnum moss.

stolonifer flower stalks do not coil/uncoil

It's definitely a spatulata form or a relative (there are plenty that have semi-upright leaves). D. stolonifera, or any of the tuberous dews for that matter, are very distinct in appearance.

Back