What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. hartmeyerorum germination!

Just got back from my vacation in Yellowstone to a wonderful surprise:
IMAG10251_zpszyaycrkx.jpg

IMAG10261_zpsflomb0uf.jpg

IMAG10271_zpslod8emgc.jpg

This was from a lot of around 50 seeds I got from the giveaway hosted by DragonsEye last month (thanks a ton!). So far, I've counted around 25 sprouts, with 3 on milled Sphagnum that I was too lazy to take a picture of, and the rest on 3:1 sand/peat. Has anyone else gotten germination from these, or better yet, does anyone have extensive experience with germinating this species (or anything else from the D. indica complex)? I'm mainly interested in seeing if the trend of higher germination rates on media continues, since a bunch of other species I've grown seem to germinate with more success in Sphagnum than the peat mix they grow in as adults. I know these guys have to be fed a ton, so I've got my Beta bits and tweezers ready.

Last edited:
Congratulations!
I was wondering who I had seen offer those. Did you sprout them on sand, peat, & sphagnum if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks! I put half on milled Sphagnum moss and the other half on the media recommended for adult plants, which is 3:1 sand/peat. The sand/peat mix yielded far better germination results, I only got 3 on the Sphagnum.

Glad to hear that they are sprouting well for you. :) Don't be surprised if you see stray seedlings pop up even a few months down the road.

I have a number of sprouts myself on pure sphag and also on a silica sand/coir mix. Interestingly, I have yet to see any sprouts on a mix of turface/coir. Curious as to why since, as I understand it, turface should be neutral/unreactive. Haven't noticed a vast difference in germination between the pure sphag and the silica sand/coir.

Wow congrats! That's great. I too find it easier to germinate on live sphag or peat/sand then in the typical peat perlite mixes

Last edited:
You lucky dog! i'm still waiting for a packet of sown seeds to do likewise. Feed early and often!

Nice! The only plant I have ever managed to germinate from seed is Drosera intermedia, and it died after a few weeks.

Back