Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Drosera species from Brazil: Drosera magnifica

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful! The flowers are huge! Fernando: I order you to enter the plant into cultivation and give everyone on TF a well established leaf pulling!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to the abstract of Gonella, Rivadavia and Fleischmann's article "The species is considered Critcally endangered according to the IUCN Red List categories and criteria".

If it gets Red Listed then it is likely to be added on Appendix One of the CITES species list.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mcantrell View Post
    Another new article:
    http://www1.folha.uol.com.br/interna...us-plant.shtml

Apparently these things get to be 150cm (5 feet) tall? Holy cow! Same environs as graminifolia ... that might be a bit hard to cultivate.
    From the article the leaves are from 100 to 240 mm (3.9 - 9.5 inches) 3-8 mm (0.1 - 0.3 inches).

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    According to the abstract of Gonella, Rivadavia and Fleischmann's article "The species is considered Critcally endangered according to the IUCN Red List categories and criteria".

If it gets Red Listed then it is likely to be added on Appendix One of the CITES species list.
    Of course what follows is that if live propagants or portions of this species are to come into the US they would best come in soon. CITES listed species are devilishly difficult to import. I'm guessing our authors/discoverers have probably thought of this. I'm guessing that they also have considered that the CP hobby community is possibly the best way to increase the number of individual plants in the world. D. regia is very rare in the wild but there are many in cultivation.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By that reasoning there should be no cites regulations on any of the carnivorous plants.
    Fred

Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

http://fredg.boards.net/

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I wouldn't hold my breath in waiting for this species to be available anytime soon. Fernando has mentioned before how difficult and expensive it is to get permits to collect and export plant material from Brazil.

The article mentions there were copious amounts of seed to be found in the capsules but no seedlings were observed. It is possible there is a very low fertility rate in the seeds.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg View Post
    By that reasoning there should be no cites regulations on any of the carnivorous plants.
    If this were the whole of the issue, I agree. But there are other considerations such as illegal collecting and destruction of habitat that CITES listing can potentially have a positive effect on.
    Last edited by bluemax; 08-08-2015 at 12:15 PM.
    - Mark

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast