What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Drosera species from Brazil: Drosera magnifica

I had just opened the sundew forum to post this, but you beat me to it! That is a fantastic looking plant and I can't wait for them to be available in cultivation.

Awesome stuff!

Thanks for the link to the article.

I remember Fernando talking about this species at the BACPS meeting two Decembers ago. Nice to see that it has been published. That stem is amazing!

Last edited:
Can't wait to see this species become available to hobbyists, it looks like it could give D. regia a run for its money!

Gorgeous plant. Those roots are incredible.

Let's hope Fernando Rivadavia will take the time to share some insight, information and photos with us :)

But, no pressure... :-D

I've been looking forward to full story on this one for quite some time!

Fernando has already posted several photos on Facebook. If anyone has his email address, perhaps it would be worth asking him to share them here.

Hey guys, the black mass you see are mostly dead leaves clinging to the old stems, not roots.

Best wishes,
Fernando Rivadavia

P.S. I'm feeling lazy to repost pics, so feel free to google them or check out the ICPS or Drosera page on Facebook. ;)

Definitely one of the coolest finds recently...another plant to add to the files!

This is one of the best looking Drosera I've seen. Many of the Drosera discovered/named recently are relatively simple or bland to a certain degree. The discovery of this plant proves that there are still large and fantastic plant species out there.

The best discovery in the CP world since Nepenthes attenboroughii, in my opinion. How many more undiscovered species are hiding on an unexplored tepui somewhere?

After I saw an article about this a few days ago, I decided I want one! I like the large plants. Someday...

The stem can grow to that length, that doesn't count the leaves from what I get from reading. Maybe I'll spring $15 to download the article.

Beautiful! The flowers are huge! Fernando: I order you to enter the plant into cultivation and give everyone on TF a well established leaf pulling!!!:poke:

According to the abstract of Gonella, Rivadavia and Fleischmann's article "The species is considered Critcally endangered according to the IUCN Red List categories and criteria".

If it gets Red Listed then it is likely to be added on Appendix One of the CITES species list.

Back