Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Volunteer Drosophyllum sprout in the bog

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Items I'm selling
    This isn't unheard of, but it's definitely not common. I recall at least one other mention of a Droso that sprouted in a bog, and survived there even through winter. If you don't get any serious cold snaps, it may have a chance.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lucky! To my knowledge Droso needs a drier habitat. Interested to see how it survive in a bog. Hope it can survive over the winter. Looking forward to your update.
    Last edited by patrickntd; 09-21-2015 at 08:03 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hcarlton View Post
    This isn't unheard of, but it's definitely not common. I recall at least one other mention of a Droso that sprouted in a bog, and survived there even through winter. If you don't get any serious cold snaps, it may have a chance.
    We can get overnight temps in the teens here over winter and days where the temps are below freezing 24/7 so I doubt a Drosophyllum will survive an entire winter outside here, but you never know until you test the limits. The bog will stay much wetter with extended flooding at times with the winter rains we get and that may do the bog droso in before any serious freezing sets in, but we will see. I bring my potted Drosophyllum into the garage for the winter after the first frost and have considered leaving one pot outside year-round to see what happens, but the amount of rain we get over winter has made me hesitate doing so. They are in 12 terra cotta pots and constantly moving them in and out of cover would be a royal pain in the back, ha.

Quote Originally Posted by patrickntd View Post
    Lucky! To my knowledge Droso needs a drier habitat. Interested to see how it survive in a bog. Hope it can survive over the winter. Looking forward to your update.
    Yes, mature Drosophyllum like much drier conditions than other CPs and they will rot if kept too wet, but in my experience you can keep them in the same conditions as you would for sarracenia at least for the first few months after germination in my conditions (outside in full sun from spring to fall in the Pacific Northwest).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its so beautiful!
    I wish i could get the seeds to grow

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update on the Drosophyllum that sprouted in the bog. It still lives, even surviving a few frosty mornings! Photos taken this frosty morning.

[IMG]Frosty bog Drosophyllum by Djoni C, on Flickr[/IMG]

And about an hour after above shots were taken and temps had warmed into the high 30s:

[IMG]About an hour after frost by Djoni C, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Last edited by DJ57; 11-22-2015 at 12:22 PM.

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That is WAY cool! I'm so curious how this is going to end up. :P
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adnedarn View Post
    That is WAY cool! I'm so curious how this is going to end up. :P
    Me to. I have decided to leave my potted Drosophyllum (2 huge pots) outside all winter; partly because of lighting issues in the garage due to their pot size and other plants needing the lights closer to them, and partially because I want to see if they can survive winter conditions outside here. They are forecasting a much milder winter than usual here, so we will see. I have always wanted to test their cold tolerance limits anyway and I can always sprout more if they perish, next time putting them in much smaller pots, ha.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard some people say we'll have a mild winter, some that it will be very harsh. We'll have to wait and see.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now we have photographic evidence that drosos will handle a frost. I notice that there seems to be no sign of dead tissue.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemax View Post
    Now we have photographic evidence that drosos will handle a frost. I notice that there seems to be no sign of dead tissue.
    Check out the frosty pics I posted of the adult drosos outside in "Frosty Drosophyllum"

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast