What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Volunteer Drosophyllum sprout in the bog

I see a second growth point just below the main one. The plant seems a bit too small to be branching from normal growth, so I wonder how that happened.

I also wonder if it's the soil settling/compacting from the rain, rather than the plant being lifted by freezing weather.

Very young Drosos, some with only 4 or 5 leaves, will sometimes produce a flower stalk and if you cut the stalk off often a growth point will form where it was cut, so multiple growth points are not uncommon in young plants, especially if there is damage to it. This plant is way small for its age likely due to less than optimal conditions (germinated around August of last year).

The Droso lifting from the soil is from the soil freezing and pushing it up. This happens on many of my plants in winter in the bog as well as pots and most will settle back down when the soil thaws out. The soil was very well established and settled at the time the plant germinated and the plant experienced many periods of heavy rainfall before winter freezing without the soil settling around it.

The Droso lifting from the soil is from the soil freezing and pushing it up. This happens on many of my plants in winter in the bog as well as pots and most will settle back down when the soil thaws out. The soil was very well established and settled at the time the plant germinated and the plant experienced many periods of heavy rainfall before winter freezing without the soil settling around it.

You must get some pretty serious frost heaving there! I've never seen ice crystals that tall before.

You must get some pretty serious frost heaving there! I've never seen ice crystals that tall before.

Check these out:

23216468215_8d1677aa4c_z.jpg
[/url]Frosty Drosophyllum by Djoni C, on Flickr[/IMG]
22857573399_553178b153_z.jpg
[/url]IMG_5076x1 by Djoni C, on Flickr[/IMG]
22597061344_96194d9df6_z.jpg
[/url]IMG_5057x1 by Djoni C, on Flickr[/IMG]

Very nice shots. I think hoarfrost is beautiful, and on CPs it is even better.

It's alive. It's AAALIIIIIIIVVVEE!!!!:spazz:

Last edited:
A few moments of silence. After surviving almost a year in alien conditions for this species, the courageous little volunteer bog Drosophyllum has passed away :( I suspect the warmer temps (heat wave spells) with wet bog conditions in June finally took its toll and root rot set in.

RIP

That's terrible, rest in peace, little drosophyllum.

I'm so surprised it made it as long as it did... and really how quickly it declined. Thanks for sharing and posting all the updates!
Andrew

Back